"Dixie" Instead of "Delta" in ATL

Apparently, Hartsfield Jackson and it’s ATC refer to taxiway “D” as “Dixie” instead of “Delta”. Does anyone know why? I have a hunch that it’s because of the high volume of Delta Airlines aircraft there, but I haven’t confirmed that…

2 Likes

It’s probably a nickname. The aviation community is good at using them for a range or things and I’m not surprised to hear that they have named a taxiway that.

3 Likes

yes, I live in ATL and privately fly out of there! its always fun listing to the tower when a forgen airline comes In then gets yelled at for calling it delta not dixie!!!1

3 Likes

Your hunch is correct.

It is because of how Delta Air Lines’s code is DELTA. And it would be weird saying DELTA 127 taxi via DELTA
Also Delta Air Lines hub is in KATL

5 Likes

But dont you fly out of PDK because GA are not allowed at KATL since its only reserved for Commercial

1 Like

WHAT!!! where did you hear that??? there are certain times you can fly into KATL with a general aviation aircraft! its very expensive because you need landing fees and such plus you have to call for a arrival time!

2 Likes

Oh ok, EAA 690 was wrong lol

1 Like

Yeah, I’m pretty sure GA can land there at off-peak times. I’ve been spotting there many times, I think I’ve seen a few props taxiing around.

1 Like

well there are a few scheduled turbo props that are run by airlines! we can either go in in the Mid-afternoon or 10PM ish but GA are allowed in big airports like that

1 Like

Like others have said, “Dixie” is used in lieu of “Delta” in the phonetic alphabet at ATL to avoid confusion with Delta, the airline. Because of the high volume of Delta Airlines traffic at the field, ATL chose to find a name/word that would still be distinguishable and understood by pilots of all nations.

8 Likes

Last time I flew into ATL I saw a few GA aircraft landing & taking off, but like what Nycjacob said, its super super expensive for you to fly in and out. (For examples please refer to Hartsfields Matt youtube channel lol)

1 Like

In addition to what DeerCrusher and others have said above, Atlanta is south of the historical Mason-Dixon Line, putting it firmly in the “Land of Dixie.” So at least for us southerners, a taxiway named “Dixie” is not surprising at all.

It’s the south boys! Lol.

I would of said “cause it’s in the south?” But seeing other explanations that makes more sense then what’s i wanted to say lol

False. GA can fly into any airport they want. Like any airport they have slow hours.! You will just need to arrive at there slow hours or call ahead

1 Like

thats exactly what I told him lol… re read what I sad “but GA are allowed in big airports like that”

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.