Diversion bc of Turbulence

Hey y’all I’m currently flying from DTW-IAH and the turbulence is really bad and I didn’t know it was this bad, can I divert with AP on? If not, what does Nav 1 do?

4 Likes

First of all, how bad are the winds?

If you have to divert, I’d change your flight plan to go to the diversion airport, and then turn LNAV on as if it were a normal following of the plan.

4 Likes

I don’t know where to tell, but it’s about to throw the plane out of the sky

1 Like

Go into the HUD view, it should be just under the speed indicator on the left side.

1 Like

A diversion more than likely isn’t necessary
Try to climb or descend a little
Then if that doesn’t work you would begin to consider a diversion

1 Like

Go into HUD and look on the left and u will see the kts and the direction of the winds

Thanks, it’s says 75knts

1 Like

Okay thanks, I’ll try that

1 Like

Is there an ATIS at youre destination airport?

1 Like

Well, as long as you are at an appropriate speed and altitude, 75 knots is regularly seen and won’t cause a diversion. Mind providing that information (speed/altitude)?

1 Like

34,000 ft.
.86 speed

1 Like

Which aircraft?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s completely fine. Especially since you are flying south, it’s just a crosswind, quite normal with the west/east winds that are common throughout the United States.

Just continue to your original destination, safe flight!

1 Like

I miss read my soles position, it’s 90 knots

Thanks so much!!

737-900 we Delta Airlines

1 Like

you are going waaay too fast for a B739, which is more than likely causing the unstable flight

B737 family cruises at M .78 - M .80

1 Like

yep,

in a 737/A320, you should be cruising somewhere around 0.78 over FL300

1 Like

Try to slow down a bit, turbulence tend to have less severity with lower speeds. 0.86 is a little too fast for the 737 anyway.

1 Like

Hi @Pete_Donnelly,

You have full right to divert but, turbulence should not cause diversions. Reduce the speed during turbulence or change your altitude. Moreover .86 is very high for 737. It should be around .78 to .80. Nav 1 can be used for ILS approaches to an airport. Nav 2 can be set to a standby runway in case you need to divert due to traffic on the runway or something else. I generally use Nav 1 and Nav 2 for the mentioned above reasons.
Hope this helps you :)
Cheers !

1 Like