Displaced Thresholds Explained

Thanks to @Christian_Glass for the request!
Displaced thresholds are marked by white arrows leading up to the threshold, or start of the runway. They look like this: image Most aren’t this long but the reason they are there is to protect incoming planes of obstacles on the glide path. Some airports do not have a displaced threshold and they aren’t marked properly in IF - if you see a long, blank area:

, this is likely either a displaced threshold or a blast pad. Displaced thresholds and blast pads are different. Blast pads are indicated by yellow chevrons that lead up to the runway. These should not be used for landing or for takeoff. These are only there to protect houses/objects/people from jet wash from the plane’s engines. A real world example is St Maarten. St Maarten has a blast pad to protect the people (Just a bit) from the jet wash and a very short displaced threshold to avoid the obstacle of the beach. The only reason it is somewhat short is as it is a reasonably short runway. If necessary, blast pads may be used as an overrun but these areas may not be very stable.
Displaced threshold can be used for takeoff if needed as it gives the runway extra length but it should be never used for landing. If you see a long displaced threshold, you still aim for the threshold markers at the start of the actual runway. This means you will not go lower due to the displaced threshold.image

So, in Infinite flight, remember you should not land on the blank area. You may take off on it however. Always aim for the ‘piano tiles’.
Again, not all runways have this - the picture below has neither a blast pad or a displaced threshold.image
Also note that if you are calculating runway distance, you still count the displaced threshold. If on the opposite end of the runway, you are permitted to use it as an extra roll out area.
Temporary displaced thresholds have the same rules but have slightly different markings. The image below is a temporary displaced threshold.

The runway also has a blast pad but the displaced threshold is considered temporary due to the chevrons before the official start of the runway.

Think you knew all that? Try this quiz I found:

29 Likes

I’d personally move this to tutorials if I were you…

1 Like

I can’t - I’m not a regular!

1 Like

If you see a long area with white borders then it’s a displaced threshold. If there aren’t any it’s not although smaller airports may have a discplaced threshold but no borders.

2 Likes

Yes I got all right in that quiz but I didn’t know what any of them meant! Good guesses… thanks for the tutorial.

1 Like

Thanks @Brandon_Sandstrom

2 Likes

Great Tutorial it deserves to be in there.

2 Likes

Thank you, this is perfect 👌

I am a bit confused here. I was told to aim for the two white blocks and either touchdown there or further above between the four markers. Does this depend on different airports? I also heard to be somewhere around 60 feet above the piano tiles on landing. Can you please help me with this?

Quite a different subject but important to cover. Great job bud.

Great explanation on something I never really understood. Appreciate the detail.

I think I muddled up my English. Yes, you should aim for the two white blocks on either side and be 50 feet up where the start of the runway is. Sorry for the confusion!

4 Likes

Thank you for this :)

Thanks for this :-) very informative

KSAN 27. See the SWA 737 all the way at the end? Please taxi full length.

3 Likes

Also be aware that taking off or landing on the displaced threshold could result in an over speeding violation. I landed too early once and had a ground speed warning. Luckily I think the speed caused me to enter the runway and did not receive an official violation. Just something to be mindful of.

Thanks for the tutorial.

1 Like

No you don’t get one if you overspeed on the Displaced Threshold.

You do get one when you overspeed on the Stopways though :)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.