Different colours at each end of runway

So the run way colours where different on the map to when I was calling in what run way I wanted to land on.
How come that happend ?

1 Like

The winds are variable (vrb06kt), so that means they can go in any direction at any time and fluctuate. That’s why. The winds fluctuated between the time you checked the map and the ATC panel.

3 Likes

It’s basically based off wind conditions. Red is the runway with the worst conditions as yellow is in the middle, and green is the runway with the best conditions

1 Like

May or may not be something to do with the winds…
What I would do in this situation is check the winds and see where it is blowing from.

1 Like

Red = This means that you’ll experience 5kts of winds on Takeoff and Landing. This may also indicate that the runway is closed most of the time.

Yellow = You should be fine.

Green = You are good, I wouldn’t worry. This also indicates a open runway most of the time.

Hey everyone…I know what the colours mean but on the map for example runway 09l is in amber and when I put my tab up to call what runway I will be landing on the tap shows runway 09l in red
How come this is

1 Like

That wasn’t the question the OP was asking. OP was asking why it was different in the ATC panel than on the map.

3 Likes

Yes thank you 🙏🏼

2 Likes

@Jamie_Pearce1 Maybe this guy here is correct just take note of the winds as like he said they can go in any direction

1 Like

So how come that happens?

1 Like

Sometime i have this problem too, i always trust the color in the ATC section, the map color seems a bit glitchy to me, but as @Aviator_SG said always check the winds to be 100% sure on where to land, and when landing at a busy airport try to land where other planes are landing to avoid any collision/misunderstanding

3 Likes

The winds are variable so they can go any direction, so at the time, the winds may have been fluctuating around a direct crosswind going between a slight headwind and a slight tailwind with the 6kt crosswind.

3 Likes

Fun fact I actually experienced this in Auckland and was quite unsure about it so @Jamie_Pearce1 thanks for asking this :)

1 Like

EGLL tower asked me to land on a red runway so I was confused. Are they seeing something different to what I am ?

1 Like

Just a little word of general rule which seems to be overseen a lot, is reading a topic fully and understanding the help a user is asking for is better than rushing to be the first to reply with anything more than 2 sentences.

Little thanks to @dca.iad.aviation for doing that. Will admit I didn’t read the whole topic before I started searching for answers 😅.

They shouldn’t be, since the weather is live and the same to all servers and everyone. Dependent on the server can decide the professionalism and correct use of runways. Sometimes controllers use Flightradar24 for a real world accurate guide which overrides the in game winds if it doesn’t exceed a limit (about 10knts) so no aircraft are affected.

9 Likes

The ATC menu is typically more up to date with the runway colors, the map just isn’t at times

1 Like

Flightradar24 is showing planes using 27R/27L at the moment

Red = strong tailwind component
Yellow = strong crosswind component
Green = strong headwind component/winds calm

idk why the colors between the two menus don’t match all the time honestly.
lol

1 Like

Winds have been a bit all over the place today at EGLL. Flew earlier today near the London area irl and winds were about 030⁰/North Easterly… bit variable to the west.

This flight from the OP was about an hour ago anyway

3 Likes

I see this happen sometimes too. Here are the rules I follow in such cases:

1. Follow the traffic: If its a busy airport, always use the end being used by other pilots
  2. If there is no traffic: Go to an orange/green runway as indicated by the ATC panel (not map)
  3. Only make ONE decision to change runways in case of variable wind and no other traffic: If my target runway goes red because of wind, I will change runway to orange or green ONCE. After that, I am landing on that other runway regardless of its color status. It helps if the unfavorable wind is less than 20kts, otherwise sometimes I will also make the decision to divert, if I have the time. Otherwise I go for a tough landing. Again, 2) and 3) are applied only after checking thoroughly that there is no other incoming traffic First rule is that you should not end up obstructing another flight.
2 Likes