Different Airplane Parts

Hi! I’ve been playing Infinite Flight for 2 years, and just got into it the day after global update (Made 15k XP in one day, it was fun). I never knew what the airplane parts did, such as the flaps, the trim, and many other features that are in IF. I only knew when to use them, but how to use them, or what’s its doing. Can anyone post a helpful video, or tell me about them? Thank you!

Hi there,

Have a look at our lovely tutorials section.

https://community.infiniteflight.com/c/tutorials/flight

4 Likes

Shoot me a pm anytime and I will be happy to help!

Here’s a lovely tutorial on understanding trim! Take a look!

3 Likes

I can even do tutorial flights on casual to help!

Send me and @Daniel14 a PM, we’ll help you out!

1 Like

There is always the Infinite Flight Mentorship Program that you could join which goes over all or most of the Aircraft Functions and much more :)

1 Like

These video’s might help. They might be a bit difficult though. This doesn’t help with your flying skills but hopefully does make you understand them better.

I’ll do a simplified run through of what everything does, based on the control’s position in IF (from top to bottom).

Spoilers

These are panels placed on top of the wing. Since the wing needs air running over it to provide lift, these work by disrupting the airflow over the wing. If you’ve ever been on a plane in the air, it’s very obvious when the spoilers are extended due to the loud sound of the air being pushed in another direction by these panels.

Fun fact! The Lockheed L-1011 used spoilers to aid it’s descent, in a system called Direct-Lift Control. When the flaps were down past flaps 30, the spoilers would extend by 8 degrees to help the plane remain on the correct glideslope. If it was too high, the spoilers would extend further out to bring the plane down. If the plane sunk below the glideslope, the spoilers would retract to allow it to rise and re-enter the glideslope. See here for it in action! (skip to the end) Unfortunately, this system is no longer used as it increases the noise of planes due to higher thrust from the extra drag.

Gear

I assume you know what this is…

If you don’t, this refers to the whole assembly of the wheels, shocks and struts, also called the truck (correct if wrong). This supports the weight of the plane when it is on the ground.

Brakes

These stop the plane once its wheels come into contact with the ground. Planes are certified to stop on runways with just the brakes alone, so they must be capable enough to stop the plane without the aid of the reversers. Originally these were made of steel, but now more and more planes are using carbon brakes, which aren’t as affected by aircraft weight and stop better with heat.

Carbon brakes from a MD-11

Trim

This is the easiest to explain. Imagine the control surface has a deflection of +50 -50 degrees (100 degrees of movement in total). At rest, it would be at 0 degrees at 0% trim. Setting the trim at 10% would mean that at rest, it is now at +5 degrees. At 20% trim, it would be at +10 degrees. At -20%, it would be at -10 degrees. This helps during takeoff and landing or even cruise as you don’t need to use strength to keep the aircraft flying level.

Flaps

This is an extremely summarised version, as a full article would warrant its own post in RWA (to think of it, I may do that!)

There are two types of flaps, leading edge and trailing edge flaps. Leading edge flaps are found in front of the wing and trailing edge flaps are found at the end of the wing. Leading edge flaps consist of, but are not limited to; slats, krueger flaps, droops, etc.

These are all the different types of flaps and how they affect the shape of the wing.

Flaps work by increasing the camber of the wing, and therefore increasing the amount of lift that it is able to produce relative to speed. This allows the stall speed to go down, enabling the plane to achieve the low speeds commonly seen on final approach. However, they also cause more drag, requiring that the thrust be increased for the plane to remain in the air, increasing noise levels. That’s why you normally set flaps 10/15/1(Airbus) for takeoff as it allows the best compromise between additional lift and extra drag.

Also note that flaps 1 for most Boeings only extends the leading edge devices, 5 and above is needed to extend the trailing edge.

Shameless Self Promotion

I did a few topics a while back on airplane bits, you may want to take a look :)

I hope you learnt something from this!

4 Likes

@Spraklin… MaxSez: Just starting in IF or stumped by some aviation tech trivia, download this free PDF from faa.gov.
“The Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronutical Knowdledge” FAA-H-8083-25".

(I recommend this AvBible as the “go to” fledgling or refresher primary source document. Every Aviator or Av Enthusiast should have a copy handy in there tech library.)

3 Likes

If you want a quick answer, flaps are to increase the amount of lift, these a useful during takeoff and landing as your not going to be going as fast but you still need to stay in the air, Pretty much the lower your speed, the lower your flaps need to be. Thats whty on landing on final when your moving only at about 150kts (May vary depending on airplane) you will need max flaps. However flaps also create drag wich will slow the plane down even more, its usually not that big of a problem though just add some more power to cope with it.

Spoilers have 3 states as you might have noticed

OFF, FLIGHT and ARMED

off- self explanitory

FLIGHT- This slightly raises the spoilers to their flight setting creating drag and allowing the plane to slow down, think of it as breaks in the air, this is why spoilers are commonly referred to as “speed breaks” If you need to lower your speed for an approach you should use these

ARMED- This is a setting that will deploy the spoilers to max ounce you have touched down. (DO NOT TRY TO USE THE ARMED SETTING TO SLOW DOWN IN THE AIR, THEY ONLY OPEN OUNCE THE PLANE HAS TOUCHED DOWN TO HELP IT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP ON THE RUNWAY IF YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN IN THE AIR, USE THE FLIGHT SETTING, IF YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN QUICKLY, LOWER POWER AND PITCH UP AND USE THE FLIGHT SETTING ) When on short final it is helpful to have these on the armed setting so you don’t have to deploy them yourself when the plane lands.

Trim pitches the nose up or down, I never use trim as it can simply be accomplished by the device tilt and it works just fine

Guys, this has been taken to PM, this could be closed, or the community could still be as helpful as it always is ;)

1 Like

Adding on to @Maxmustang’s post, chapter 6, chapter 7, and chapter 8 of the “AvBible” are the sections of importance in your case. Best of luck!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.