Did You Know About This?

Did you know IRL, when a pilot wants to cross the runway, instead of contacting the ground and asking for permission, that you are supposed to contact the tower and ask?

If you didn’t know this fact, here is a simple reason: Everyone knows that the tower controls the airspace and runways at the airport, and the ground, well handles the ground control. So since the runways are controlled by the tower, you contact the tower to cross the.

I hope you learned something new today!

Did you know this Fact!
  • Yes I did
  • No, I learned something new!!

0 voters

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty commonplace in IFATC. Nothing really new.

Depends on IFATC, I’ve had an instance to where ground passed me to tower, tower passed my back to ground, then passed me again back to tower and finally they cleared me. Happened a while ago though

1 Like

This happened to me on the TS once:

Ground: Contact tower when ready.

Me: Okay

Me to tower: Request to cross RW08.

Tower: Contact Ground.

Me: Okay.

Ground: Contact Tower.

(repeat this 4934174303324 bazillion times)

Me (45 mins delayed): Is this some kind of sick joke?

Tower: Why are you still here?

Ground: I don’t want him.

Tower: Me neither.

Me: Okay Imma despawn now.

5 Likes

sometimes, ATC will issue a runway crossing after you request for taxi, thus when you reach the threshold, you can just cross it like you don’t care. Wish this is a thing in IF.

1 Like

They have this command also just don’t use it as much

As far as I’m concerned when exiting the runway, the command is XXX, when able turn right, cross RWY XX and contact ground. So in this case runway cross is issued by Tower.
When taxiing to a RWY however, it’s always the Ground to issue.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.