DHC-6 Twin Otter

This is an amazing aircraft which has found a new life being built by Viking Air. I would love to have this in Infinite Flight!

History of the DHC-6 Twin Otter

In 1965, de Havilland Canada developed the DHC-6 Twin Otter aircraft – a high winged, un-pressurized twin engine turbine powered aircraft with fixed tricycle land gear. Designed as a rugged Short Take Off and Landing (“STOL”) commuter, the Twin Otter was capable of carrying passengers and cargo into remote unimproved locations, including ski and water based operations.

The aircraft were sold around the world to customers operating in the harshest environments, including subzero Antarctica, the hottest deserts of North Africa, the mountainous regions of the Himalayas, and the open water of the Indian Ocean archipelagos. A testimony to its rugged construction and incredible STOL performance, the Twin Otter became the best-selling 19 passenger aircraft of all time, still unmatched for its dependability and versatility.

The de Havilland Twin Otter experienced a production span of twenty-three years before the line was officially shut down in 1988, after a total of 844 aircraft were delivered. The “Legacy fleet”, as it is now known, has remained in active use since the program end, carrying out jobs no other aircraft can do; in 2001, the Twin Otter was chosen as the only aircraft capable of performing an emergency evacuation flight of a critical patient from the South Pole under extreme -60 degree conditions.

This ability to reliably operate in any environment with minimal maintenance requirements has kept the legacy fleet at the forefront of niche markets around the world. It is often said that the only thing that can replace a Twin Otter is another Twin Otter, which explains the high demand in the market to keep the nearly 500 remaining legacy aircraft in operation.

In 2005, Viking purchased the Type Certificates for all of the out-of-production de Havilland aircraft (DHC-1 through DHC-7), including the Twin Otter. After an extensive market analysis was conducted, it was determined that an overwhelming demand existed to bring the Twin Otter back into production, thus the Viking Series 400 Twin Otter Production Program was announced in 2007. The first production aircraft was delivered in 2010 and by mid 2015, 75 of the new series had been delivered.

(Article from Vikingair.com)

Ga is the best I removed a vote just to add this Hopefully it can be added one day

16 Likes

It would be amazing to see more GA aircraft in the future, especially ones that can land on rough terrain and dirt landing strips! :)

6 Likes

As long as they add the Winair livery… You got my vote.

12 Likes

Yes that’s a true statement I want to see DHC-6, King Air 350i, Cessna 152,182, maybe a piper

3 Likes

As long as we have G-BVVK in the BA and FlyBe liveries i’m happy… wanna see this plane alot!

8 Likes

I totally agree! I would love to see each and every plane you just said added to Infinite flight! :)

2 Likes

Just had to vote for this. Just had too!

3 Likes

It’s not as much a GA aircraft, as it does alot of regular commercial service, to islands across the world, including my favourite, Barra, Scotland

5 Likes

Absolutely 100% yes. Got my (fab) vote

16 Likes

Well by definition it’s commercial, GA does not mean small with propellers. I’d like to see this a lot tho, after we get a good twin turboprop and new single piston, this would be perfect for exploring islands along with the Britten Normander BN-2 islander

6 Likes

Definitely had to vote for this. Would be a great addition for island hops in Global, especially for Barra in Scotland.

4 Likes

Yeah. I’d love to see this, altho not GA, it’s an awesome aircraft with some amazing performance

4 Likes

Beautiful! Definitely got my vote!

4 Likes

MaxSez: Appears there some question on this aircraft’s class, if it for hire its not GA; General aviation (GA) is the term for all civil aviation operations other than scheduled air services and non-scheduled air transport operations for remuneration or hire. (Wiki.) So for this twin you can tell this book by its cover.

(FAA 14CFR Part 91-121-135 etc may be of interest to the budding aviator)

4 Likes

Well, if we get your vote, surely this will be added!

2 Likes

This would be a great addition to IF, I totally support it (and would vote for it if I had some more votes left) ;)

3 Likes

Got my vote!

Both Royal Norwegian Air Force and the regional airline, Wideroe have used them here in Norway.

3 Likes

Yes please! I love it! We’ll even be able to fly into that beach airport!

I’d love this - removed one of my votes for it

4 Likes

This would be a great plane to see the game!! You have my vote!

2 Likes