DFW Airport Now Has The Most Domestic Destinations Out Of Any Airport

Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport now has the most domestic destinations out of any airport in the United States, surpassing Chicago O’Hare!

(Image by David Woo/Dallas Morning News)

After American Airlines launched nonstop service from Dallas/Fort Worth to St. Thomas (STT) on December 21, 2019, DFW Airport now has one more domestic destination than Chicago O’Hare making it the airport with the most domestic destinations.

Airports With The Most Domestic Destinations:

• Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW): 193
  • Chicago O’Hare (ORD): 192
  • Denver (DEN): 189
  • Atlanta (ATL): 171

Including international flights, Dallas/Fort Worth received 25 new nonstop destinations in 2019:

Airport Code City
BFL Bakersfield, California
GNV Gainesville, Florida
HRL Harlingen, Texas
YUM Yuma, Arizona
BUR Burbank, California
MRY Monterrey, California
SBP San Luis Obispo, California
BKG Branson, Missouri
SKB St Kitts and Nevis
FCA Kalispell, Montana
MDT Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
STS Santa Rosa, California
DGO Durango, Mexico
DUB Dublin, Ireland
MUC Munich, Germany
TGU Tegucigalpa, Honduras
SAP San Pedro Sula, Honduras
SDQ Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
TRI Tri-Cities, Tennessee
SGU St. George, Utah
ACA Acapulco, Mexico
HUX Huatulco, Mexico
UIO Quito, Ecuador
GYE Guayaquil, Ecuador
STT Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Future Destinations 2020:

Airport Code City
HHH Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
HND Tokyo-Haneda, Japan
FAI Fairbanks, Alaska
PWM Portland, Maine
TLV Tel Aviv, Israel
AKL Auckland, New Zealand

(Image by Andy’s Travel Blog)

A majority of this growth comes from American Airlines/American Eagle, which currently has an 85% market share at DFW.

In terms of total destinations including international ones, DFW has around 260 while Chicago O’Hare has 270. Though, with the addition of Tel Aviv and Auckland so far, I wouldn’t be surprised to see DFW catch up.

Huge congrats to DFW!

16 Likes

@Altaria55

That’s amazing though! I’m sure you have AA to thank for that

Very exciting for DFW! I wouldn’t be surprised to see DEN get closer in the coming years because of both Southwest and United staying their intentions to grow there. Just today United announced SMX-DEN

2 Likes

Very not happy, but good for DFW!

1 Like

My home airport :D

1 Like

As someone who works for a competitor airline to AA, I must say DFW is a wonderful airport.

2 Likes

Yeah and its a pretty big airport too.

Fairbanks Alaska? That’ll be fun!
I would’ve thought that ATL would’ve been top 2, but looking at the list, it makes sense

1 Like

Honestly same, I would’ve expected ATL to be much higher given it’s the busiest, but I suppose DL is focusing on frequency.

1 Like

ATL might be the busiest but they seem to have primarily international routes which have longer turn around times. Airports like DEN seem to be based on primarily regional/domestic flights which have a probably half the turn around time allowing more flights to be pushed out per day.
Plus DFW is a major connecting hub which means that they’d want more domestic destinations to transfer onto long hauls.

Read it, Houstonians!

1 Like

Don’t forget: ORD is soon to be connected with Brisbane and Budapest (completely new routes), as well as many domestic routes soon to come as well!

I’ve done 2 of the 2019 routes so far. It was nice due to how convenient it was for me. In any regard, if I can dodge flying into LAX, I will in a heart beat. If I need to be north of LA, I’ll fly into BUR. If I need to be south of LA, SNA is my go to. Just one of the things when deciding on where you need to fly into. If you can make traveling easier, and more convenient, take full advantage of it.

• BUR Burbank, California

• BKG Branson, Missouri

1 Like

Not sure if this article was counting future routes or not, but I’m assuming they did.

Though Budapest isn’t a new route (LOT flew it in 2018 but dropped it this year after AA announced ORD-BUD), ORD will still receive cities like TLV, KRK, SBA, TRI, and a few more.

Yeah, my apologies. I forgot LOT flew to BUD over the summer 😂

Edit: ORD-KRK is not a new route. LOT flew it twice a week over the summer

1 Like

Says out of any airport, then specifies the USA. Hey u know your America, do you know that there are other countries apart from America?

Welllllllllllllllllll

Are there any other airports in the world that have over 193 domestic destinations?

I used other U.S. airports in comparison because that’s where you’ll find the most domestic destinations and no other country can compare, including China.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.