Devs: How do you design aircraft dynamics/physics?

For the developers: just out of curiosity, how do you guys design the IF Aircraft? Are they programmed to fly a certain way (whether it be in IF or elsewhere, hypothetically speaking), or are the models simply designed to fly in the IF Atmospheric environment (that is, if you took it out of the IF environement, would it fly differently?)? I’m curious to know how much of what I’m flying is truly physics-based and how much is more or less “programmed in”.

I think, thought this could be entirely wrong, they use aircraft lookup tables which contain the behavior for the aircraft at a given speed or alt etc, and then interpolate the data to give [reasonably] accurate flight physics. This is used by the majority of flight Sims. The other method is calculating the lift, drag, etc using algorithms, which is the approach X-Plane takes, but this is trickier and can result in unexpected and unrealistic results during edge experiences (e.g stall). This may be all wrong.

11 Likes

They first establish a base of the new aircraft’s physics from an older one. Say, it was the A318 for the Dash8. They get certain flight parameters and interpolate as Kelly said. They get data for multiple stages of flight.

Might not be 💯

1 Like

But how can this be tested by real world pilots? Flying a 777 with an yoke feels way different from flying your 500-ish gram IPad.

I believe when you calibrate your device it is the same as when the yoke or joystick is in the base position of the aircraft. Like if you tilt your device say 1 degree forward then it would probably be the same as the yoke or joystick being moved forward 1 degree.
Not sure though so🤷‍♂️

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.