Device Compatibility Thread 21.2 - Built By Us For You!

Hello IFC! I was just wondering if the IPad 8th generation is good for IF, or if anyone has a good description of if I should get it or not. I am replacing my IPad mini 2 and I read the description above for the IPad 8th generation and was wondering if anyone had a better description of it/how well it works with IF. Thanks!

Hi Ty, I’ve heard so many good things, and seen so many people recommending the device that I can confidently say it’ll be great for you. It’s a huge update over the Mini 2 in terms of both quality and performance.

Definitely what I would go for if I weren’t a sucker for 120Hz 🥴

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

What about iPad Air 3 (2019)?

1 Like

i use the iPad 5 2017 but the graphics i put is Medium High High but it so lag??

iPad Pro 11 2020

iPad Pro 11 2020 Cellular (2nd Generation) - @Kirito_77

Hardware : A12Z Bionic, 6GB

Rendering Quality: High
3D Object Density: High
Rendering Resolution: High
Texture Quality: High
Anti-Aliasing: On
Framerate: 60FPS
Airplane Count: Very High

I’ll provide a more condensed notes for the main post.

So. The iPad. My new personal daily driver. I know, shocking right? Me with an apple product? Who would ever imagine.

I’ve been using it for about a week now, and I have some thoughts. Good and bad.

Let’s start with the good stuff:

• Performance. It doesn’t need to be said, but I’ll mention it anyway. It absolutely crushes everything. Infinite Flight, easy 60fps if you don’t mind the tablet setting your hand on fire. Everything else it just slaps. Multitasking, just overall system fluidity. Then again, coming from a 6 year old rooted tablet, anything would feel smooth.

• Display. The screen is fantastic. It’s sharp, responsive, 120Hz paired with the drawn out iOS animations make it feel really smooth. Colour accuracy could be a tiny bit better but it’s still great. Brightness is fantastic for indoors, struggles outdoors a little.

• Audio Quality. The speakers on this tablet are fantastic. As someone who spends nearly every waking minute and hour listening to music, audio quality is massively important to me, especially considering the lack of headphone jack. Strong bass, good mids, high range. Excellent, especially for a tablet.

• Aesthetic. The tablet itself looks amazing. I’m not a huge fan of the massive apple logo, but otherwise it’s a great design. It’s thin, light, the bezels are symmetrical.

• Usability. The gestures are somewhat familiar having used them on android, they work well. It would be good if some of them were a little better explained, such as multitasking, but otherwise top notch. Or rather, no notch.

Now for the less good stuff:

• iPad OS. It’s a clique I know, but as a long term android user, iOS is just too restrictive. Trying to tidy up my home screen, just moving icons into folders is a hassle. Widgets are still not that good. The app library is massively inferior to an A-Z app drawer, no question.
Text input and editing on iOS is just awful. There’s a reason I’m using my phone to type this, and I’m sure over time I’ll get used to it, but it’s hugely frustrating.

• Camera quality. This one is strange, because you’d think having essentially the same cameras as the iPhone 11 would give similar image quality, but it is really grainy. There’s also a lack of options in the camera app. I know tablets aren’t meant for photography, but if you have the hardware, at least have the software to support it.

• External hardware support. I have a magic mouse 1 and can’t scroll with it. There is no fix. Why? It’s an Apple product, and the MM2 works fine.

• Fragility. The tablet feels like it could bend in half at any time. I will be getting a case, but I find myself being extremely careful with it, more so than any other device I’ve ever owned. My Pixel C was about the same thickness and felt fine.

• It is not a viable laptop replacement. I’m not going to go into full detail, but it is far too restrictive to ever be a laptop replacement.

Final thoughts:

It’s decent. I’d originally planned to get the 2018 model, but I’m not complaining about an upgrade. It’s a fantastic tablet, but it’s going to take some time to get used to iOS as a daily driver again. I still prefer android vastly. iOS is far too restrictive, and always will be. And I’m not just on about customisation, because that doesn’t matter to me. Simple things like gboard not working properly. Being unable to change the scaling. No calculator/ weather app. No headphone port. But as a standalone tablet, I’m pretty happy with it

2 Likes

how could you betray the android gang like this…

1 Like

Because, as I have gone on record saying many times, Android tablets are trash. The only good Android tablets are made by Samsung, they are expensive, and I loathe OneUI. Plus, I’ve owned and used Apple devices for many years…

No need to fear, I am still firm to sticking with an Android phone and watch. #teampixel

3 Likes

as someone who is stuck with a samsung phone and tablet… i can relate

1 Like

#teampixel so are you getting the pixel 6?

Hi Guys - looking for some advice. I recently bought the iPad Air 4 (2020) 64 GB etc. As I see on this thread, other users with this device can operate with settings all on high, however I have found my experience to be very hit and miss. The device lags heavily on the highest settings, especially on short finals and after take-off. Granted, I have been using more high-end aircraft such as the 757 and 777, however I expected such a new device to be able to cope. Additionally, despite having object density on high, the gates never load in, and now even EGLL tower doesn’t load in. The device also heats up dramatically, although I expected this. Any tips? I’ve cleared the scenery cache, deleted replays etc. Any advice appreciated 🙏🏿

1 Like

Anyone tried the S7 FE ?

Xiaomi Mi 9
Hardware: Snapdragon 855, 6 GB

Rendering Quality : High
3D Object Density : High
Rendering Resolution : High
Texture Quality : High
Anti-Aliasing : On
Framerate : 30FPS (real 30-40 on ground, when heating with charging fall to 25, 60 in flight, but sometimes can fall without seeing reason)
Airplane Count : high/ very high

Very powerfull and cheap phone

Does anyone know if a Lenovo Tab M10 HD Gen 2 or Samsung Tab a7 lite will be OK to run IF?

Thanks

1 Like

i dont think the a7 will be able to run it because the device is 32 bit.

1 Like

Xiaomi Pad 5 Pro :

Software: MIUI 12.5
Hardware : Snapdragon 870, 6GB RAM

Rendering Quality : High
Texture quality : High
Framerate : 60FPS
Airplane count : Very High

Notes : Normal Device heat. Runns smooth and is cheap when buying it ( Only in China Available right now )

1 Like

Sony Xperia 1 ii

Hardware : Snapdragon 865, 8GB RAM

Rendering Quality : Medium
Texture quality : High
Framerate : 30FPS
Airplane count : Very High

Notes : Runs decently on the setup but battery drains quickly - expect battery to drop for ~30-40% every hour without plugging in to power since the phone carries 4k screen, 5G capabilities and only have 4000mAh battery cell. However the H.S. power control function (Which allows power to directly power the chipset and bypass the power cell) makes heating less severe.

I think you meant 4000mAh:)

Oops, fixed. Thank you for pointing that out 😉.

1 Like

My pleasure!