Descent rate calculator

Does anyone else use one of these apps? Would be nice if infinite flight supported split screen or its own decent rate calculator built in. Not criticising in anyway

, just want to hear others views.

15 Likes

Why is it important that IF has it? Pilots use third party apps all the time.

Check out MyE6B, love it.

9 Likes

£6.99 though 😢

15 Likes

I didn’t say it is important. I said it would be nice to have. In a live flight I don’t really like pausing and closing infinite flight.

2 Likes

Use a computer/other device. Should be planning this in advance so you don’t need to close IF 🙂

10 Likes

Worth it. Totally. <3

2 Likes

I know a way to calculate the descent rate for free with two simple calculations:

1. Distance to destination for begin the descent = (altitude * 3)/1000
    Ex. (12000ft * 3)/1000 = 36000ft/1000 = 36nm, so at 36nm begin the descent

2. VS (Vertical Speed) for the descent = AS (Air Speed)/2
    Ex. 280kts (AS)/2 = 140kts --> -1400ft

• Note* If you follow perfectly these instructions you will have to change more and more times the VS, like in real life
14 Likes

Thanks. That’s helpful. I usually cruise around 16000 to 18000. For a flight just over 100nm. Around 70 nm from landing I start my decent and aim for the 10000 mark once I get to 30 nm from destination. Keeping the plane level or in a low positive pitch. This usually gets me roughly on the correct glide slope. I still havnt managed to calculate and prepare in advance yet. My method gets me down ok. Slowing down and lowering flaps once the nose start to rise., well . In planes im not used to. Only perfected the 737 747 and a318.

4 Likes

A318, A319, A320 and A321 are pretty similar, so the instructions to follow are the same

1 Like

I agree. Goes without saying really.

1 Like

Just fly at 3,000 ft the whole way and you’ll be fine

7 Likes

That’s no realistic and with the implementation of Fuel Burn you will burn a lot of fuel, too much.

2 Likes

But he won’t have to be calculating the descent

It isn’t hard do two calculations…

Oh you weren’t joking?

2 Likes

Bonus tip:

Subtract the altitude to loose by 3000 (so you would end up at 3000 in the end) and take the NM required and subtract that by 10, and you’ll have a perfect interception on the localizer!

7 Likes

Happy birthdayyyyyyy✌😊
BTW I like this feature😉

2 Likes

*anniversary

Of course I was ;)

1 Like

Thanks Francesco! ;)