Descent and Approach

Can I get some tips on descending from anyone?
Although I may say so myself, I feel like I have the knack of most aspects of IF, however I feel the success of my decent when coming in to land is often down to chance.
Sometimes my speed in decent is rather low but with a high rate of decent, I end up reaching c.4000-3000ft sooner than I would prefer and further from the airport than I had hoped, meaning that my final approach is not quite as realistic as I would like.
Of course there is the alternative circumstance when’re I descend too quickly and/or with not a large enough rate of decent, leading me to overshoot (fortunately, this is somewhat a rarity).
I would like to know if there is some sort of sweet spot of speed & VS for descending and perhaps how far from the destination is an ideal point to begin initial descent (cruising alt. depending)?

JH

2 Likes

Hello!

Refer to this for any questions about descent calculations

1 Like

Brilliant, Thank you very much!!

2 Likes

I like to combine the TOD calculator in VirtualHub with approach charts for the airport if available. The TOD calculator will give you your distance and VS for your descent. My “fix altitude” will be set to the fix at the beginning of the approach, and then from there I will use the approach chart to come down the rest of the way, usually using a VS around -1000 for each drop in the approach.

1 Like

Thanks, I will try this, seems a handy shortcut. I am not sure what VirtualHub is, but I’ll look it up

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.