Descending

Hello every one

once i posted a topic it was "Question"
i was asking how do people calculate descend rate
somebody gave me a way but it failed…
someone mentioned me in a topic but it FAILED…
please can somebody give me a correct way to calculate the descend rate
1- VS
2- when to start descending
3- speed (787-9)
but please don’t mention me in any topic because i already read every topic about the descend rate and it all failed !
Thanks you all .
p.s i’m a beginner i have 30 hours of flying…

2 Likes
10 Likes

Take your GS and divide it by 2.

@DipperDolphin gave you a link so read it.

I usually follow this rule:

• Cruise --> FL180: 300kts
  • FL180 --> 12000: 280 kts
  • 12000 --> 6000: 250 kts
  • 6000 --> 3000: <220 kts.
6 Likes

do you use this way ?

1 Like

I do, and @CptNathanHope clearly does as he said he did.

2 Likes

okay let’s pretend that i descended to fl120 shall i divide my ground speed to get the new VS ?

1 Like

see what i sent…

1 Like

Of course.

No. If your GS is 435 kts, your VS could be -2200 or -2100 fpm.

1 Like

So i mustn’t change my vs even if i descended is that right ?

1 Like

If you descend from FL180 to 8000, for example, your VS should be increasing as your slow down. It should never be the same the entire time you’re descending.

2 Likes

thanks @cptnathanhope and @DipperDolphin

3 Likes

You’re welcome. If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to ask me in PM.

2 Likes

The halve your groundspeed trick will give you a close approximation of a standard ILS 3 degree glideslope.

Use it as a reference, look at you distance to go and your height. Figure out if you are high or low (use the 3 miles per 1000’ rule) and adjust your reference V/S as appropriate.

Don’t overspeed! :D

1 Like

Why did the other ways ‘fail’ for you…?

simple ways for me:

TOD = FL/3=DRG

ie FL320 / 3 = 106 nm from destination to start my descent.

SPeed and VS

From Cruise to FL100= M0.69 (260kts) and VS -2500

From FL100 to FL06 = 240kts and VS -1500

From 6000 to 3000 = 220ktd and VS -1500

From 3000 to 0 = 180-150kts and VS-1500 to -700. ( various for actual landing)

Don’t forget to allow for actual alt of the airfield.

2 Likes

First you need to decide which is most important in the descent. Altitude constraints or Speed. In the real world ATC or the approach path (STAR) profile will dictate which of these you fly!

If altitude is the constraint then use OPEN DES in the Airbus or FLCH in the Boeing. This will achieve the desired altitude as quickly as possible with the pilot controlling the speed.

If speed is the constraint then use DES (managed path) in the Airbus or VNAV PTH in the Boeing. This will set a vertical path allowing for speed constraint profiles.

As above calculate you distance to the next altitude constrain, divide by 3 and it will give you a top of descent (TOD) for a THREE DEGREE APPROXIMATION SLOPE!. This may or may not be enough at altitude so plan accordingly.

‘Normal’ descent speed will be in the region of M0.79 (Airbus) M0.80 (Boeing) with a conversion to IAS (indicated airspeed) of 280Kts above 10,000’.

Platform height for ILS 3000’, Airfield Alt 1000’, Aircraft level 34,000’ gives you a difference to platform of 30,000’ which will give you a TOD of 100nm. Remember you MUST factor in deceleration! To slow from 280kt’s to 180kts will take at least 10mn so chuck it on! Now you have a TOD of 110nm TO THE ILS INTERCEPT POINT AT PLATFORM HEIGHT.

Select an initial V/S of 1500-2000 fpm and aim to descend to 10,000’ with about 10 miles to spare on your descent profile (10000-4000=6000 which is 18mn from ILS intercept point + 5m for decel to 250kts + 5m for ILS speed decel = 28nm from FAP is your level aiming point). Use the 5 miles to slow from 280kt’s to 250kt’s, reduce the V/S to approx 1500’ fpm and descend to the platform altitude on an intercept heading, again giving yourself a level segment to control the speed. Arm the ILS and reduce to 180kt’s taking either F1 for Airbus or F5 for Boeing using your second 5nm decel block.

Once on the localiser and glide slope at approx 10 miles, 3000’ AAL (Above Airfield Level) start reducing to 160kts for the intercept.

Intercept the glide slope, 2000’ AAL take the gear and final approach speed (Vapp) (dependent upon weight obviously but around 145kts for a heavy 777 isn’t far off and 130kts for a 320 series is also reasonable) then take final flap as the speed comes back, select approx 700-800 fpm for a 3 degree glide slope and fly to land.

The above procedure is a nice ‘by the numbers’ approach. In the real world we will adjust decent points and v/s on the go to fly a CDA (constant descent approach) with the aim being to keep the engines at idle for the entire approach. However, if you nail the basics you can embellish in the future.

Have fun!

6 Likes

Thanks for very detailed post there! I have never managed to achieve a CDA, but I think that is because I reduce speed down to M0.69 / 260kts with a VS of about -2500 when above FL120. will start trying new tactics!

Is the ILS Platform height always 3000ft AGL?

Your messing my head I’ll probably mead to write this down and get a calculator

Nope, it depends on the ILS.

3000’ will intercept the glide slope at 10nm on the vast majority of ILS approaches (standard 3 degree slope)

1 Like

Thank you Yuan!

search descent calculator on appstore or google play