Descending

Around -1,500fpm is a pretty normal decent rate if your at FL360 and maybe -2,000fpm if the airport is close. The only problem is that with some of the older aircraft’s in the game for example the A380 will pitch down a couple of degrees when IRL it will still maintain a positive or neutral pitch at that altitude.

2 Likes

Probably about 600-800fpm, depending on how far you are from touchdown.

Yeah my bad I read his post as “-2000 on the glideslope” which is what my reply was aimed at…

2 Likes

You descend at 600-800fpm all the way from cruise? Are you only talking about final approach?

You would only be doing 600-800fpm final approach. Typically before you get to that stage it can easily be anything from 1500-2500fpm.

Do airliners usually have the nose pointed down at any part of the descent? Cuz i don’t think so, and when in IF my plane does, I usually reduce speed a bit and maybe increase vs.

Id do 1200Vs landing it works for me at FL300 also id use a speed of moc .86 when your in moc otherwise 300 till below 10000 slow to 220 till you get on final most aircraft can do this approach not recommend for jets such as f22 f18 Once below 20000 VS can be added at your description. Id love to hear what you think if there’s any way to mod it let me know love inprovements

You’re asking the right questions, great!
Plenty of good answers below.

When you’re new, I urge you to browse the tutorials category of this forum. You find answers to more questions you can dream of 😉

Also, check out the video training series:

(It says Spitfire tutorial, but you fine more. Check it out).

2 Likes

Yes it’s pretty common to have a nose down attitude when descending.

1 Like

Oh i see…usually how many degrees? Im guessing -3 degrees, but thats just wild guess…

Yea 2-4° maybe up to 5°.

2 Likes

No, I was on about final approach. I mis-read what somebody said above.

1 Like

I must be the outcast here! I typically cruise between FL330 and FL380. I end up descending about 90-100 nm out. It seems steep but just keep it slow and just like to put in my spoilers. What I’m gathering is that you should descend between 100 - 130 nm out from destination, and at a v/s of around 2,000.

1 Like

Yes you are leaving it late, hence why you also need your speedbrakes. Just use the formula as described in linked post at the top of the thread for “how to descend (for beginners) in a simple way”

1 Like

Yay! Free YouTube promotion!
For me I would do Alt x 3.5 + 20 = the nautical miles you should descend at. As for a VS, probably -1100fpm

1 Like

I start my decend around 150nm out at 2000v/s in my initial decend, and lower it to around 1800-1500v/s as I keep decending. Idk if is how its done IRL but it works for me.

I honestly find any VS above -1800 too fast

1 Like

If you cruise at 36,000 ft, descend at -1,500 FPM at a distance of 165 NM. I achieve this using ForeFlight. Your descent is never supposed to be at 5 degrees unless your aircraft has steep approach on it.

1 Like

You are confusing two things here. Steep approach capable aircraft are for when the final approach such as the ILS glideslope is around 5 degrees (like at London City) and much steeper than the nromal 3 degrees… Steep approach capability has nothing to do with descent at higher altitudes.

In terms of high energy approaches (i.e. where you are too high on the normal profile) basically you can easily achieve descent rates of ~3700fpm (something like 3 degrees nose down in a 737) quite easily and safely manage that by trading speed for height - key is to slow down first of course before you do it. Not something that is done all the time and more normal rates may be around 1500-2000fpm, but sometimes if needs must you have to manage something a bit more than the normal rate.

Oh I’m sorry I thought he meant Short Final pitch. Please forgive me!

1 Like

I found this website on a similar forum: http://aerotexas.com/desplan/desplan.php

Just play around with the numbers until you get a VS that you’re happy with.

2 Likes