Derek_McCauley's ATC Tracking Thread - [CLOSED] @ N/A

I have my IFATC Practical THIS afternoon and would love some of you to hop on the Training Server and help me practice my Tower skills, I feel more comfortable as a ground controller, but less so with pattern entry.

If you’re free to join me and assist in some testing of skills, join me at my home base here in Orange County at KSNA at 2020-09-01T23:00:00Z2020-09-02T00:00:00Z

Thanks and happy flying

5 Likes

Come fly some circuits with me at KSNA, I got the time wrong on my practical and it’s today right after this planned training. :-D

1 Like

I’m online now for anyone that cares to join me. Been bouncing around busy airports to get some experience and after the anarchy of KSFO, I’m ready for something a little more sane at KSNA.

I’m not sure if the influx to KSNA was from you reading this post, but dang I got busy. Sorry for the confusion on traffic patterns. Not used to 737 requesting pattern work!

Thanks for the practice LOL. I shouldn’t have done so close to LAX, you always get some folks that are less serious, but it was good experience anyway. Wish me luck on my practical in 30 minutes.

I was controlling KLAX approach at the time you were controlling KSNA. And it looks like you did amazing!

1 Like

Hey Derek, sorry for leaving early. I could not stand the chaos at KSNA anymore. Here’s my feedback.

• Transition of 4000ft was high. KSNA’s elevation is 56ft, so a transition altitude of 3000ft would do it. Take the airfield elevation and tack on 2500, and then round up if needed to calculate the transition altitude.
  • Having me enter left base was a bit ambitious, given my altitude and position. I would’ve preferred a left downwind for 20R. Also, try to bunch up your sequences with your pattern entry instructions if you can.
  • RPTR22 didn’t need an extend downwind. Simply sequence them and trust them to maintain appropriate spacing.
  • My clearance should’ve been number 1, and it needed a traffic direction. All new inbound aircraft require a traffic direction on their initial clearance, and if an aircraft changes to a different runway, they also need a traffic direction on the initial clearance.
  • On my second pattern, you simply cleared me as number two, instead of sequencing me.
  • I reported full stop, but you cleared me again after already clearing me.
  • You forgot the exit runway. Try to do so at around 70kts for jets.

Good luck on your practical!

Thanks, and yes I realize now KSNA was a bad idea. It was familiar. Here are some thoughts I have on the feedback, but I understand your feedback given what the manual says.

• Transition of 4000ft was high. KSNA’s elevation is 56ft, so a transition altitude of 3000ft would do it. Take the airfield elevation and tack on 2500, and then round up if needed to calculate the transition altitude.
    –I knew this was high based on best practices, but I checked and he was at 3k and climbing and RPTR22 was climbing fast. Didn’t want the two to interact at all. Margin of error and all. Knowing I’ll be tested on that though, I’ll take into account.

• Having me enter left base was a bit ambitious, given my altitude and position. I would’ve preferred a left downwind for 20R. Also, try to bunch up your sequences with your pattern entry instructions if you can.
    –Got a bit chaotic there, sorry about that. Thanks for the sequencing feedback, it felt like too many commands on my part. I need to get better and diving into the sequencing when giving you the option. THANKS

• RPTR22 didn’t need an extend downwind. Simply sequence them and trust them to maintain appropriate spacing.
    –He came in hot on that last circuit at 400+knots. With you and another aircraft in front, I thought it best to send him flying past for a minute.

• My clearance should’ve been number 1, and it needed a traffic direction. All new inbound aircraft require a traffic direction on their initial clearance, and if an aircraft changes to a different runway, they also need a traffic direction on the initial clearance.
    –Great feedback, in the chaos i forgot to extend you. Good thing you know your stuff and knew the published right traffic for 20R :-P

• On my second pattern, you simply cleared me as number two, instead of sequencing me.
    –Hmm this one I’m a bit confused on. Maybe I’m missing a string of commands in a sub menu somewhere. I see now that I should have mentioned the aircraft in front of you.

• I reported full stop, but you cleared me again after already clearing me.
    –I don’t recall this, but perhaps I thought I hadn’t cleared or that you were calling again. I will watch for this.

• You forgot the exit runway. Try to do so at around 70kts for jets.
    –Yes, the CHAOS (can I say Choas enough with SoCal)

I need more practice. Also I got trolled on my practical by three randos. I’m going to put together another little practice sesh soon while I wait for an official trainer to become available. I need more practice sequencing flights in the pattern (which is hard to practice in the game).

Anyone around want to do some traffic patterns with me at KAFW. Needing some more sequencing practice. I’m online now for the next 30-60 minutes.

On my Way home again, Won’t mind helping but I will land by 1 1/2 hours from now actually if you can wait that long

I’ll probably be back on this afternoon/evening for those that can. Let’s plan to be open again 2020-09-02T22:30:00Z2020-09-03T00:00:00Z

1 Like

Ready if you need me right now, just landed :)

I’m hopping on now

Hey! @Derek_McCauley you will be controlling in about 1:30hrs?

I may be around. Just had Reichsniper on. It was fun. Can’t wait to see his feedback on that missed approach. 😂

2 Likes

Ok if you still controlling i can help you :)

1 Like

Or if you need help other day just tag me pls

1 Like

Couple of things to note:

1. Once I passed the Hold short line, “You were not cleared to enter the runway, please exit the runway” can be used. However, nice catch on the part that prevented me from taking off

2. Good job to announce the go around first before the double-check runway assignment. I lined that one up wrongly on purpose.

3. Change of runway was done right - Pattern entry before the clearance

4. Okay, I know BTV-ed (Brake to Vacate) there for the exit mid runway, I may have slowed down a little too fast for you to catch, but at 70 or 60 knots (I cannot remember which) you can tell me to exit the runway. Minor detail considering how fast I was braking.

Other than that, all seems good to me, would have made it more fun if someone else spawned. This airport seems a little tight for the 359 but it is the only aircraft I fly full time on IF.

I’ll see you round soon, I got to prepare my flight home from Auckland on the Expert now.

Have Fun :)

1 Like

Thanks. I fumbled when you crossed the hold short (thought it was a glitch first then you started turning to line up) and couldn’t find the right command… then you just parked and sat there. Had me really confused. Good one! Is there a dictionary of all the available commands and optiosn? I need to get better on what’s available ground/tower etc…

Those runways were very close. Had to watch you approach the wrong runway for a minute to figure out what you were doing. I loved sending you around.

Thanks for helping out. Love the community here and how willing to jump in and help everyone is.

1 Like