Departing into approach controlled airspace

What is the proper communication i should have used in the below scenario on expert?

On a Flight from kpae to kvuo with flight plan filed, I was immediately transferred from kpae tower to ksea approach as I departed directly into ksea airspace. Ksea approach asked for my intentions but I didn’t know how to respond, I couldn’t ask for transition through the airspace because there isn’t an option plus I was already in it from departure, I don’t think I could ask for approach assistance because I scrolled through 50 airports and i couldn’t find mine, I wasn’t going to ask for free flight following because I wasn’t vfr, my scrolling through airports drew another ask for intentions from approach because of the wait. I asked for change of frequency and was hoping to be transferred to kvuo approach but instead and understandably I got a 3rd ask for intentions so I closed the game to avoid being shot out of the sky by atc.

What should I have done in the above scenario?

Thanks for any assistance!

Edit
The solution is to have the destination as the final waypoint and it should be listed under flight following or request approach to.

1 Like

You request flight following and then select your destination airport. Approach will then note your are not doing a pattern and flying to an airport outside their controlled airspace and give you clearance to proceed on flight following.

10 Likes

If you have your final waypoint as your destination airport the flight following will give you the airport listed first to select. If no destination airport is selected you will only be able to select VFR

2 Likes

Check in as they may want to vector you out of the way of traffic, or they’ll approve your frequency change

1 Like

Ask for flight flight following or just check in. Do one or the other not both. Don’t listen to @ewanfleming

1 Like

The below link should help with the different options available.

1 Like

I’ve also had a few occasions where my destination airport isn’t first on the list even though it’s the final destination in the flight plan. Not sure what causes it, but I agree it’s frustrating trying to find that needle. May be a good time for standby? I’ll play around and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

1 Like

Hi. Based on the timing of this I’m assuming I was the APP Controller at KSEA at the time. I’m sorry I caused you to have to end your flight. I was busy at the time so I was making an attempt to organize all flights, and be aware of their intentions. I’m sure most controllers, including myself, will give you a 10-30 second, sometimes even longer, grace period after a Stand-By message, although using it after every command they send back is going to make them loose their trust in you. I would say just request and Flight Following, and then fix your request a bit later when you sort things out. Thanks for posting about this

@Salute7… MaxSez: : IFATC modifies the FAR to solve the low staffing, lack of radar certified controllers and to enhance operational efficiency when a full compliment of all controlling agencies are unavailable in any given region. When the required controlling agencies are not staffed you’ll always have anomalies that must be worked thru. Following for example is a VFR procedure available only if the controlling radar entities is able to fit a Flight in to the mix. IMC airliners must follow IFR procedures and in the RW routinely are not offered Following services. Until B’s are fully staffed the IF system must utilized modified FAR/AIM procedures. In your case Id equest Departure (direction) and hope for the best, A second call from an IFATC is a cocked pistol, bail out!

3 Likes

You probably shouldn’t be flying VFR flight following in an airliner, the check in button is important as it’s saying that you will continue enroute (still requesting alt changes) instead of requesting vectors.

MaxSez: Let’s be clear! The Pilot in Command is the Decision Maker and Flying VFR means “See and be Seen Rules” apply, no ATC service required or desired other than at launch & recovery. (except for safety of flight issues). Questions pls PM me.

1 Like

You shouldn’t request departure (Which isn’t possible to do with approach btw). You should request Flight following to the airport you’re heading to.

That’s fine. We have that same limitations as controllers. I can’t switch aircraft to frequencies if the distance between the two are too far. I do have it in my Quick Response Bar, which allows me to change you to KVOU APP, but I didn’t want to cause too much confusion for that controller, since he was working in the bottom half of the regions, and to have to manage aircraft at the very top is going to cause worse efficiency and performance by him. Once you reached I certain point I would send you to him. Glad we could clear things up :)

1 Like

MaxSez: Opinions etc. The AIM rules, it’s either IMC or VMC. NO options.

1 Like

Request flight following to destination airport. ATC(KSEA APP) may give you vectors as you pass through their airspace to avoid conflict with other traffic.
Hope this helps, good day.

Well, since we’re not talking Real World - I can’t see where the AIM/FAR rules would come into place.

1 Like

@emil… Well if we’re going for IF modifications, making them up as we go along and not publish them or issue a NOTAM there will never be a meeting of the mind me thinks. Have a nice day my old friend… Max

1 Like

always make the final waypoint your destination airport. This makes several things easy, such as requesting flight following, selecting the runway for use of CDI, etc.

1 Like

Can you maybe speak English please? :)

How on earth did you not understand that Emil?

2 Likes