Denver intl ILS and landing

Has anyone else had trouble with the landings at Denver. Because of the airport elevation it’s very difficult and I can’t seem to get a good landing there whether it’s an ils or manual landing. Any tips ?

Given Denver’s altitude, a higher speed will be needed on approach.

The higher the airport elevation, the higher your approach and landing speed needs to be. This is because the higher you are in altitude, the more speed is needed to get the same amount of lift.

so maybe instead of say 135-140 knots, maybe a landing speed of 150-160 knots is needed.

Much appreciated!! So do I still use full flaps? And also what approach altitude do I use because most airports are 3,000ft but that end in a crash every time at Denver. I tried 8,000 but that was too high and 7,000 was still too high given that the airport altitude is around 5,000. Any suggestions on altitude as well?

The altitude in your autopilot is in MSL so obviously by programming something 2000 feet below the airport elevation you’ll crash. You should aim to be lower than 3600 AGL when you are at the end of the ILS cone. If airport elevation is 5000, 8000 is a good altitude to be at the end of the cone. And yes, use full flaps.

1 Like

After one week of practice for an event and always have the same troubles you might have, I finally nailed it after reading:

this link here.

High altitude takeoff / landing - PMDG 737NGX | 737NGXu - The AVSIM Community

And yep, full flaps! Just imagine the air is so thin.

You dont need to use full flaps because DEN’s runways are so long, just a higher approach speed.