Delta Will Promote Pilots to Captain—if They Can Fly This Aging Plane

Delta is making newbies captains if you choose to Fly the MD’s , How dod you feel about this.
I think it’s kinda weird they said unloved about the aircraft.
Any pilots here that want to object?

15 Likes

They shouldn’t be doing that. Surely you still have to meet the requirements?

4 Likes

As long as everybody meets the requirements and still gets the proper training I have no problem with it. I think it interesting but for a pilot to instantly be captain that means a bigger check (I presume) and different day to day things.

I will have to see if any Delta mad dogs have some pilot related incidents in the months and years to come.

11 Likes

Unloved MD? That’s like saying a GE90 sounds bad.

9 Likes

The airlines make the First Officer and Captian requirements for themselves. They can decide what they want to do.

6 Likes

Those junkers are a pain to fly compared to a 737max for example

EDIT: they look awesome, but a pain to fly

2 Likes

Jokes on you Delta, I want to fly this plane. It’s an older bird, but definitely a sturdy one. An Allegiant captain on my flight last year told me that he hated the MD-80. Then again, that’s at Allegiant.

3 Likes

The MD-88/90 is a pretty junior category, however pilots bid it and aren’t just awarded it after 6 months. They do bidding usually twice a year. Based on aircraft type (as mentioned MD-88/90 is a category, 737NG covering all types, etc.), base, and captain or FO. This is only to move from their current position to another, meaning pilots that want to stay where they are don’t need to take any action.

1 Like

It may be an old bird but I’ve flown older airplanes. If Delta needs a captain for them, I’ll be signing up tommrow

1 Like

I really recommend that everyone (regardless of if you like the MD-80 or not) watch this video. It is so cool and is one of the main reasons I am in love with the MD-80.

7 Likes

I’d take this any day! I absolutely love the MD-80.

My pic

7 Likes

YESSSSSSSS,!I love the MD-88 and I have watched that video before.
I love it when a pilot tells what they like about an aircraf⛓
I hope I can fly the MD-88 with Delta soon I want to feel what it’s like when it does such a steep takeoff like they do

1 Like

Unloved? Really? The maddog isn’t unloved

3 Likes

I know, how dare them

1 Like

FAKE NEWS lol. Did Bloomberg steal this from CNN? 😜

3 Likes

That pic is a 717 not an MD-80 😂

2 Likes

LOL it really is a B717!

1 Like

I don’t think it’s fake news but that pic doesn’t!mean anything, Sometimes they put a completely different Picture of an aircraft compared to the situation

1 Like

That’s not what I’m only talking about. Fake news is “News” anything that has misinformation. There is a lot in this article that isn’t hard to see.

1 Like

I would honestly dont like the MD cant belive so many American airlines operate so many old aircraft the only place you see older aircraft is some of the dodgy middle eastern airlines.

1 Like