Two very contrasting things have been revealed in the past 48 hours.
Part 1: Delta launches its new international Main Cabin experience (Soft Product)
Yesterday Delta launched its “reinvented” Main Cabin (Economy Class) experience by adding “thoughtful touches like welcome cocktails, hot towel service, bistro-style dining and more.”
The Key Points:
- After leveling off at cruising altitude, Main Cabin passengers will be offered a special “Welcome On Board” cocktail featuring a Bellini: sparkling wine and infused peach puree.
Not sure how many people here are actually above the drinking age (I’m not) so… probably doesn’t apply to many
Followed by a refreshing hot towel
(American Airlines already does this though, not sure about United).
Bistro-Style Dining & Elevated Serviceware:
- Passengers can select their choice of upgraded appetizers and larger entrees.
- There will be larger entrees featuring new recipes inspired by Delta One (Delta’s First/Business Class)
- Dessert will be served as a separate final course - along with a choice of water, tea, coffee, or complimentary wine.
- “Standard meal trays will be replaced with more elegant, custom-designed serviceware made with 30 percent bio-based materials”
- Delta is debuting a new snack basket available for all passengers after meal service. This snack basket features items such as such as Cheez-It crackers, Tillamook cheese, OREOs, KIND Bars, and the airline’s signature Biscoff cookies.
Finally, A Farewell Chocolate During Descent:
To clarify it case it wasn’t known already:
This is only for international flights scheduled for 6.5 hours or longer, plus select shorter international flights where Delta One or Delta Premium Select is offered.
Part 2: Lufthansa Reduces Meal Service In Economy/Premium Economy
Not so “Premium” anymore? 🤔
- Currently on flights over 10 hours, Lufthansa offers a small hot tray with two choices for pre-landing.
- Currently on flights under 10 hours, Lufthansa offers snack boxes with hot food pre-landing.
(The main meal is untouched. Only the pre-landing meal has been modified).
As Of November 28, 2019:
- On long haul flights, Lufthansa will only offer a small cold vegetarian snack (high-quality cold sandwich) as the pre-landing meal, with no choice
- Passengers will now receive a half liter water bottle. (Yay?)
- Lufthansa is also cutting back on reusable headsets and will instead use disposable earbuds.
So… two very contrasting changes to the lower classes of flying for Delta and Lufthansa…
I personally haven’t flew Delta long-haul, but I flew Lufthansa two years ago and the food was rather amazing.
Delta’s new changes seem very thoughtful and paying attention to the tiniest details.
What are your thoughts on this? Are you booked to fly Delta or Lufthansa long-haul or planning to fly them?