Delta plane dumps fuel on school ground in L.A

Shortly after takeoff(enroute to Shanghai) , the 777 plane had an engine issue, circled around and returned back to the airport with fuel dumping around

41 Likes

Yikes. I thought they had designated areas where they could dump.

9 Likes

Good luck to the Janitor to clean that up

51 Likes

Sorry. Simply sourcing the article and saying a few words is not how the #real-world-aviation category works.

But interesting…

You’re going to have to elaborate more.

4 Likes

Janitor. you’re fired for low effort. You can’t clean up dumped jet fuel of out the courtyard you lazy.

4 Likes

Footage of the aircraft:

9 Likes

Wait, why’s it raining fuel?

8 Likes

I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning and all that, what I don’t like is that its raining on my head!

13 Likes

It’s raining jet fuel, hallelujah, it’s raining jet fuel, amen
I’m gonna go out to run and let myself get
Absolutely soaking wet

4 Likes

That’s what all of them are these days.

Interesting, never thought a plane would drop fuel over an inhabited area

I want to make sure everyone here knows that jet fuel can be toxic to ingest and harmful to the respiratory system to inhale, and these were young children at an elementary school. I’d imagine it could also be hot, being that it came from a jet engine. Ambulances were called and 70 firefighters responded to the area where the fuel landed. Children aged 5-10 experienced skin irritation and several of them had to be treated in ambulances. I would hardly joke or sing about this.

26 Likes

Imagine trying to light a cigarette… a massive fire risk if I say so myself.

Oh I feel bad lol. Would be great for any avgeeks at that school. 😂

2 Likes

Wasnt there a scene like this in a die hard film?

1 Like

Ummm shouldn’t fuel dumping be away from any danger zones! 🤷‍♂️

1 Like

oh my. if somebody had a match or lighter or candle or open flame running, that would be bad

I live right by this…

Usual LAX procedure is dumping fuel over the ocean north of the airport…but I guess they forgot or something?

1 Like

Imagine smoking… a massive lung damage if I say so myself.

2 Likes

Update- The pilots were forced to shut down an engine

1 Like

This is a pretty big story on ABC World News

1 Like