Delta flight landed at wrong airport

A Delta A320 landed at Ellsworth Air Force Base instead of its destination of Rapid City Regional Airport last night. 2nd time this has happened with the 1st time being a Northwest flight in 2004. Both runways must have the exact same heading?

10 Likes

Looks like someone is going to have a cup of tea and biscuits with the chief pilot.

Might be an awkward conversation:
Chief pilot: Hi there, how are you
Pilot: Fine thanks, how’s life?
Chief pilot: Great, thanks for asking. How’s the flying going?
Pilot: Oh fine, I love my job you know
Chief pilot: That’s good to hear. Anything interesting happened recently?
Pilot: Ummmm…

9 Likes

Probably an emergency landing if it was permitted to land at an Air Force Base.

Nope it wasn’t they landed at the wrong airport and have been suspended

1 Like

lol, what were the pilots thinking, i could only imagine why they wee so confused XD

1 Like

This reminds me an incident when an AeroMexico MD-83 landed in a AFB instead of Chiapas airport I guess from Mexico City. The plane was surrounded by militaries shortly after landing and the pilots where interviewed.

How did ATC not realize they weren’t on the right glideslope?

1 Like

Rapid City Regional, best ICAO ever…KRAP

6 Likes

Interesting. 2 different runway numbers. How could they be that unaware?

1 Like

How do you even do this now Adams with ILS and gps coordinates. Plus you have the approach plate and everything… I just don’t get it

I cracked up when I read this newsletter. Like for reals…how do you not know when you are flying into the wrong airport.

Captain: “I see the runway. Visual confirmation.”
First officer: “Yep. Shall we lower landing gear?”
Captain: “Proceed. Flaps full!”
First officer: “Three green.”
(Plane lands safely. First Officer looks out window)
First Officer: “Hey look at that. The terminal morphed into a bush. did they ever notify you that military personal were here?!”
Captain: “As a heads up we landed at the wrong airport.”
First officer: (agape) “Well at least that explains why the airport shrunk. Seriously?”
Captain: “We probably just lost our lisence. You think they serve the little peanut bags in jail!?”
First Officer: “…”
This just cracks me up! Have a great one guys 😂😂😂😂😂😂🛬🚓

2 Likes

Reminds me of when a Southwest flight did this in Missouri.

I’m not sure how something like that happens

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.