Delta Announces New York to Dubrovnik, Atlanta to Athens, Portland to Seoul Routes

Delta Air Lines is expanding with three new long-haul routes

With travel demand beginning to recover and certain countries starting to open to vaccinated travelers or those with negative PCR tests, airlines are taking advantage of this demand and redeploying their aircraft on new routes.

Within the past three weeks, Delta has announced three new long-haul routes, two of which focus on this trend.

1. New York to Dubrovnik, Croatia:

• Today, Delta has announced its newest destination - Dubrovnik, Croatia. Starting July 2, they’ll launch four-weekly nonstop flights from New York JFK to Dubrovnik using the Boeing 767-300ER. This represents the first time Delta has operated flights to Croatia.

• Croatia is continuing to see new long-haul routes to the United States. Last month, United announced it would commence flights from Newark to Dubrovnik. Additionally, PRAGUSA.One, a new European startup airline, plans to begin flying from Dubrovnik to Newark and Los Angeles this summer.

2. Atlanta to Athens, Greece:

• Similar to Croatia, Greece is another European country open to vaccinated travelers or those with negative PCR tests. Also starting July 2, Delta with launch flights from its Atlanta hub to Athens using a daily Airbus A330-300. This is technically a resumption as Delta last operated ATL-ATH in 2011.

• Atlanta to Athens represents Delta’s second route into Greece following New York JFK to Athens which will resume at the end of this month. American Airlines and United Airlines are adding new routes into Greece from their respective New York JFK and Washington D.C. hubs.

3. Portland to Seoul, South Korea:

• This route is more of a surprising one. Demand between the United States and East Asia has essentially plummeted with doubts over when it’ll recover. Despite this, Delta has announced it will begin flying from Portland, Oregon, to Seoul, South Korea starting September 9 with a 3x weekly Airbus A330-200.

• Delta maintains a strong presence in Seoul thanks to its joint venture with Korean Air. The Portland to Seoul route should offer sufficient connections through Korean Air’s flights into other destinations in Asia.

Press Releases/Image Credits

Image: N189DN - Delta Air Lines Boeing 767-300 at Amsterdam - Schiphol | Photo ID 1207061 | Airplane-Pictures.net

Press Releases:
DBV: Delta to debut new service to Croatia this summer | Delta News Hub
ATH: New Atlanta service, more New York flights to Athens for vaccinated travelers | Delta News Hub
ICN: Delta to launch new Portland-Seoul route in fall 2021 | Delta News Hub

What do you guys think of Delta’s new long-haul routes? Congrats to them on finally waking up and expanding again.

20 Likes

The pandemic is slowly getting under control in the US, which means that people will start flying again. That being said, I still think it’s too early for airlines to be announcing new international routes, especially since I don’t see enough demand for these routes.

Plus, in my opinion, Delta Airlines needs to retire their 767 fleet soon. They have the range and the right capacity to serve many different international markets. But their days are over for passenger service (at least in my opinion). I get new planes are expensive, but I think they should still make the investment to buy some more fuel efficient aircraft (the A330-800neo would be a great replacement for the 767 in my opinion).
Here is a good video on this:

1 Like

I’m really excited about a new long haul flight to Seoul of Portland!

1 Like

Portland route is cool
If only we were getting the -200 in the rework

1 Like

Here’s the route map:

I’m glad for the new route, but Korean Air backed out and it makes me salty.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.