Delta Airlines Kicks Family Off Flight

Hello again. Today, yet another family was kicked off a flight after refusing to give up their two year old’s seat. http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-family-kicked-delta-flight-threatened-jail-refusing-give-toddler-n755141
The flight attendant threatened the parents of the two year old that the whole family would go to jail while the kids were given to foster parents. The family fired back saying they payed for the seat and that they had no where else to stay and that all the other flights were full. While the flight attendant said with anger "With him being two, he can not sit in a car seat. He has to sit in your arms the whole time! That is not true though. The FAA highly agrees to kids sitting in a car seat on a flight and any age! The flight attendant then said “At this point, we are all own your own…” I believe that this is an outrage to aviation and Delta Airlines. These problems need to be solved using money and replacing them on another flight. What do you guys think about another incident like this?

19 Likes

Oh my… not this again 😪

7 Likes

Sadly, the only way an action will occur if passengers record and post to multiple social media, gathers a lot of attention. Other than that i don’t think the airline will even care imo

7 Likes

And yet they never paid for the child to sit in the seat… they paid for their 18 year old son to sit in the seat. When he wasn’t onboard the flight, that was no longer his seat or the seat of the family as he was technically a no-show. That seat was now up for grabs for anyone who wanted to swap seats or for standbys. Just because you paid for the seat doesn’t mean it’s yours – if the owner of the seat doesn’t board, the owner loses the seat, which is common practice with all airlines. Infant-in-arms children are NOT entitled to any seat assignment, and unless that seat remains unoccupied after boarding is complete, the child has no right to sit there. Want to have your 2-year-old sit in their own seat? Please buy them a ticket.

This is a mix between ignorance on the family’s behalf for not realising that that seat was no longer their own seat, and the flight attendant’s fault for going so far when they refused to move (who threatens to arrest someone and give their children to foster parents?).

22 Likes

I do agree with that but, the ticket of the teen was scanned under the two year old to fort on the flight. The ticketer approved the change. Plus, it is still technically the family’s ticket so they were doing everything correctly.

2 Likes

I think that Delta had full right to kick them off the flight if they hadn’t paid for the child’s seat.
I still don’t think that using verbal or physical force is ever needed in these types of situations unless the problem escalates to something more serious.

10 Likes

They payed for a seat just not directly under the child’s name. But, I agree that these problems need to be solved differently.

4 Likes

Oh I see,
This happened to my family and I one time.
We booked a flight for my parents and sister, last minute changes were made which meant I had to go instead of my sister even though it was under her name.
When we reached the airport they told us about this and we agreed peacefully and paid the extra price to get me on the flight.
People should be more honest on what they did instead of denying that they made a mistake.
If you booked a flight for one person but for some reason need to get a different person on you should be honest about it and pay a little bit more to fix it not deny it like in this delta case.

3 Likes

I have mentioned this many times already but the airline industry is really having problems with their customers. It started all with the United situation. I think most of these flights are from the US too :)

This is the list I had made of all the problems with airlines and their customers (this has never happened before)

1. United forcefully drags man off
  2. Mom cries after American Airlines employee hits baby with stroller
  3. Rabbit dies on United Airlines flight
  4. Two men flighting on an ANA flight to Los Angleles
  5. Delta Airlines Kicks Family off of Flight

Tell me if I missed one lmfao

6 Likes

Sorry but Flight attendants based in America are getting worse and worse. Real worry the pilots are next and then we get pilots trained as well as ryanair pilots.

3 Likes

These types of topics only invite negativity and nonproductive criticism. It would be be nice if we could stop making these types of posts. Nothing good is gained from this.

6 Likes

I think people start making bad publicity about U.S Carriers after United’s incident

1 Like

Although US has problems with employees and customers, TBH if anything the US has the best pilots. Its more strict with higher FAA requirements. And besides, the US are the first to invent powered flight.

2 Likes

Yeah I know. It kinda suck :) Airlines in the US are not the best compared to other country. But they have positives too. The US I feel like have better pilots since they are trained higher and more strict. There are more stricter requrements and health requirements compared to other countries. The airline industry in the US isn’t doing so well this month but that doesn’t mean we should just bash at all US airlines.

Just like what @SkyHighGuys there isn’t a point just bashing US airlines. It is pointless and not worht anything to this. We should all stop posting mean comments about US airlines and just move on:)

2 Likes

It is not the airline’s fault,
United, Delta and most of the popular American carriers are certainly one of the safest in the world.
The airlines try to solve problems as easy as possible although sometimes passengers might make it hard for them.
At the end of the day, the airline gets most of the blame which I think isn’t fair.

These topics are a bit negative though but interesting at the same time.

3 Likes

Oh no not again:( soooo many incidents with airlines have occurred within the past month…

1 Like

And that’s the issue. The contract of carriage states that it is a violation to misrepresent who you are (in this case, the 2 year old being the 18 year old). Regardless of whether or not the “ticketer” approved it, it still constitutes as a violation of the CoC. Considering I’m pretty sure Delta subcontracts handling in OGG to either Hawaiian or Aloha Contract Services, I wouldn’t expect any subcontracted gate agent to fully understand the CoC (or even read it for that matter). The most simple solution would be to alter the reservation and pay a name change fee and change the Secure Flight Details to reflect the 2 year old rather than the 18 year old, rather than simply board with the 18 year old’s ticket and hope for the best.

4 Likes

Il be honest it is the Airlines fault. Their executives don’t know a lot about passenger experience which cause most airlines to have poor customer service.

The First law of passengers: The more inexperienced the traveller, the more entitled they feel.

Airlines need to learn to not offer compensation to everyone that goes to the press whining about whatever terrible atrocity that had befallen them. The lack of payment to change the teenager’s ticket entitlement to the toddler’s name is already a huge red flag. If the names don’t match, the parents messed up by not paying to change the name on the ticket.

Delta is allowed to go onboard and give the seat to someone else if they realized their error since the toddler isn’t entitled to the seat, the teenager is. If the teenager no-showed, then the airline has the right to re-assign the seat to anyone on the flight, or a standby, but it sure isn’t going to be some toddler on an IN90 fare.

2 Likes

Ok. Just wow. Airlines are at it again… Makes me so annoyed 😒😖😫😪😬

3 Likes