Delta Airlines flight diverted to Panama City after bomb threat

A Delta Airlines Boeing 737-700 covering a flight from Medellín to Atlanta, declared an emergency after a bomb threat and requested a deviation to the Tocumen Airport in Panama, the plane landed at the airport at 11:48am local time, no injuries were reported, the Panamanian authorities cleared the emergency stating that there was no bomb aboard.

The plane in Panama, taxiing to a remote area of the airport.

The bags being unloaded from the plane for inspection

the link of the news in Spanish (sorry, didn’t found the news in English)

3 Likes

For the record this flight did not continue in a few minutes. My daughter and her friend were on it. The passengers were held in a restricted area of the Panama City airport for hours, and eventually moved to a hotel near the airport. They were put on a flight out of Panama at 10:30 pm and didn’t arrive in Atlanta until after 3 a.m.

6 Likes

Well, at least they arrived to their destination after the false alarm, and welcome to the community @afsimon!!!

Sorry, but the news didn’t gave information about that, so nobody had any idea about their status. I hope your relatives arrived well to ATL.

1 Like

Thanks. They made it home safely this morning. But the whole event was pretty mysterious and disturbing. Passengers were not told what was happening and when they asked about changing to another flight they were told that would not be permitted because the flight was now classified as secure. They just had to wait it out in Panama City until Delta was ready to move them–more than 10 hours.

1 Like

I feel bad for the passengers that had their luggage thrown onto the (what appears to be) wet concrete when there wasn’t even a bomb. At least the authorities did what seemed to be the best way and reacted properly to what could have been a real bomb.

3 Likes

Yes, here in Panama (where I live now) the airport is prepared for anything, the police and customs guards are always checking the passengers and their bags and also they do it before they board the plane (if is a flight to the USA by orders of the American migration regulations). The incidents that happened at Tocumen were always drug traffickers being arrested by attempting to transport drugs to Europe (mostly Netherlands) and sometimes to Mexico. Their origin is always from South America.

3 Likes

These people provoking unnecessary acts…I was in the airport that moment with my dad visiting the Copa hangar when the plane arrived. It was an awkward moment for the passengers when they thought it was a life or death situation. Hopefully they went back to Atlanta but in the night. It was also the first time seeing a 737-700 of DL, they usually fly the -800 for the ATL-PTY route. Thank goodness the airport personnel reacted perfectly to the emergency.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.