Delta 757 hard landing fuselage bends out of place

A delta 757 landing into the Azores landed so hard the fuelsalage bent out of shape. Delta is now organising more flights to get the stranded passengers back.

36 Likes

Holy moly! Poor B757…

I wonder what made the Pilots make such a hard landing? Weather? Etc

13 Likes

That’s what people are asking

It is like trying to land the 757 in infinite flight right now 😂

52 Likes

So true 😂😂

3 Likes

Man they had to have of slammed that thing at like 100 kts 😂 stalled it onto the runway or something because OUCH!

7 Likes

I found some more pictures of the damage.

image image

Image credit

6 Likes

What is the callsign?

1 Like

That article says the wing was damaged too, definitely not, the picture is of the top of the fuselage, just saying…

2 Likes

The Call Sign was DL414.

1 Like

Lol I mean weather has to be the obvious problem as Portugal is known for their insane landings, such as Madeira and even Porto at times since it is so close to the shore.

1 Like

Sounds like me

1 Like

Yeah people are asking

1 Like

The plane will probably be written of, because it is already old, and Delta is retirering it’s 757s

3 Likes

I mean how old is that plane? I’d imagine all that wear and tear has essentially weakened the frame so that when a slightly rough landing did occur, it was doomed.

5 Likes

DL414 was the call sign. (Source: Simple Flying)

At the time of landing winds were “calm” for the location, at about 12 knots. Locals mentioned the aircraft landed on its nose gear. (Source: airliners.net)

6 Likes

Must have been pilot error then

1 Like

That would do it, I rembre a southwest a few years ago had a gear collapse for that same resson, aircraft simply are not desighned to do that…

5 Likes

Well if the air is turbulent it can drop the nose, especially is there was a gust in the winds, when you’re low it can be hard to recover, no good, or eaven decent pilot would forget to flare or something…

2 Likes

Dang, wonder what would have to be neglected to allow that? Surely approaches are finalized miles out, and monitored the rest of the way. If they weren’t hand flying that is? Did they realize they weren’t dropping fast enough so they reacted by dropping fast enough? Lol

1 Like