Dear Fellow Pilots

Dear Fellow Pilots,

I know y’all are trying to get to your destination as quickly as possible, but please use some realism and land on the favorable runway at airports without ATC! These runways are usually green, as the wind is in the opposite direction to that runway. If your STAR leads you to a red runway, please amend that, and put the effort into radar vectoring yourself to the green runway. This will greatly prevent the need for a go-around after someone is in a head-on collision with you. Part of being a pilot is being able to perform tedious and time-consuming tasks. Thanks for reading this, and have a great day!

Sincerely,
Parin_Patel

49 Likes

I do my best to do this sometimes I just turn off the auto pilot in manual it to a wind favorable runway

5 Likes

I’ll follow the traffic directions others are already doing, and I’ve noticed it’s typically in the favorable wind direction

5 Likes

I usually always do that except for when I’m at DTW bc I know I’m reall life pretty much no matter the weather they use 22R/L 4R/L 21R/L and 3R/L but other than that I always use the green ones but yes I agree everyone should use the green runway if able

3 Likes

Well said. I’ve been on approach into so many airports with people coming directly for me using the other end of the runway 🙄

5 Likes

I usually look at the airports IRL ATIS

5 Likes

Not always the green runway. Sometimes the green runway is not the correct runway. I usually check the IRL airports ATIS and see what they are using Irl, if there is not ATC.

6 Likes

i always check the runway in usage on flight radar or radarbox. I check where planes land and depart so whatever runway is in use irl, ill use that runway in-game, regardless if runway is green or red

3 Likes

quick question, how do you check IRL airports ATIS?

2 Likes

Amen, not to mention taxing at high rates of speed to beat someone for take off position.

4 Likes

If there is no D-ATIS, I usually go on Flightradar24.com to see which runways are being used at a certain airport.

3 Likes

Same here it is a lot easier

3 Likes

I wish IF implemented D-ATIS into airports even if there isn’t a controller.

1 Like

I like to use FlightRadar24. It is free, but you can get a subscription, and I feel like it is easier to use and much more user friendly compared to flightaware, imo.

3 Likes

This is why I always check the D-ATIS online at https://datis.clowd.io/.

It allows for pre-planning and hopefully, if used properly and enough, can fix some issues in IF (like the runway 5/23 issues constantly seen at KCLT).

2 Likes

I always plan with fpltoif, then I chek with FR24 live maps in case there migh tbe a change in pattern, which rarely occurs.
Now of course, I also adapt my flight plan to avoid collisions, but I am never happy to do it, since FR24 is free and available to all to check what goes on in any airport righr now!
Sometimes planes do takeoff or land from the red side of things!, obviously when the actual tail wind component remains reasonnable given other parameters (usually under 5 kt).
My plea would then rather be, please guys check the actual world our beloved sim simulates!
Have a nice day.

2 Likes

Especially at EGLL, even with a ATC some aircrafts still insist NOT to communicate and respond to ATC instructions.

1 Like

I always use the runway that’s used irl. Especially when some airports, like EHAM, have certain runways that are only used for either takeoff, or landing. (Some examples: 18L, 09, 36L

Green isn’t always the right runway…

3 Likes

I go to flightradar24

1 Like

1 hour before my decent I like to check DATIS or wing, and the select my approach rather than doing it before the flight begins, people should do that more often, and takeoff into head wing and such

2 Likes