Dear Community - A new Decade

Dear Community,

One year ago on December 21st, 2018, I shared a post with you. The Final Countdown of 2018. I looked back on the year, reflected my thoughts and shared them with you. Today, one year later, here we are again. Another post, another reflection. At the moment I am busy studying because my first exams are due in January at the university. The first of many. And yet, I try to reflect my thoughts during this time. Somehow this works better in winter.

In a few days, a decade ends and a new one starts. 2020. How fast time passes can only be noticed when you look at the past. In 2010, I was 12 years old. At that time, apart from my childhood dream of being a pilot, I had no idea what I wanted to do after school. A lot has happened over the last 10 years. And I think for a lot of you it will be the same. Look back at the year 2010. Maybe you lived in a different place, had a different job. Others were perhaps only 3 years old at that time. In 10 years many things can change, both positive and negative. Negative things that can still burden us today, positive things that give us new joy day after day. And yet every day we go through our lives anew, without actually being aware of how the world around us is changing. Every day new challenges await us, which we have to face. And no matter whether we are successful in these challenges or fail, it is always an opportunity for us to learn something new and grow from it.

Let’s take a look at Infinite Flight. Let’s look at our community. The IFC was founded in this decade, in 2015 to be exact. I even go so far as to say that it has changed lives. Many have made lifelong friends here, others have found jobs, others have sought and found new challenges. IFC is a place where people from many different cultures come together. We have all have different backgrounds, we grew up differently, had a different education, different opportunities. And regardless of all these differences, we have something in common. We all ended up in the same place. We all share a common passion. We all share a common interest. We all share a common joy. And even if we do not always agree, even if we do not always understand each other and even if everything is not always perfect: In the end, we all together are a great and unique community. It’s about us to keep it this way. It’s about us to show openness and tolerance. It’s about us to welcome new users to this community. It’s about us to do good. And we can do that.

I would like to take this opportunity at the end of this decade to thank everyone who is involved in Infinite Flight in any way and I’m sure I speak in the name of many of us. We saw many fantastic updates this year, with 19.4 being a stunning final surprise. Infinite Flight Developers and Staff put together a remarkable year for us, with many new updates and features, great meet-ups, flabbergasting events and so much more. There’s never been a dull moment. To see how far you’ve come over the years is remarkable. To the next decade!

A special thank you goes out to every volunteer who’s working on something here at Infinite Flight Community, for example, the Virtual Airlines. One cannot imagine Infinite Flight without VAs and VOs. British Airways Virtual Airlines celebrated their 3rd anniversary this year; that’s remarkable. And we got many other VAs, old and new ones. The fact that we have so many high-quality VAs today is also due to the hard work of IFVARB who help new CEOs during the process of creating a VA while making sure that the high standards are being met. Now of course, if we wouldn’t have any airports, the concept of VAs or a flight simulator in general wouldn’t work. The Airport Editors of Infinite Flight do a fantastic job as well every day and they deserve much appreciation. It takes hours to build an airport, even days. That’s not to be taken for granted. And when it comes to controlling those airports, IFATC steps in. The simulator wouldn’t be the same without ATC and that’s thanks to the remarkable job our controllers do. I want to mention the IFATC recruiting and training team separately because those are the people that ensure that the quality of ATC is kept at a high level, 24/7. They do a great job that deserves a lot of recognition especially as many of the things they do, happen where a simple regular user doesn’t see it. And of course, we shall not forget the IFC moderators who have not only been supporting this community for years but have also helped me in getting to know the work of a moderator during the last weeks. Thank you.

You see, every day I enjoy browsing the IFC, learning new things, exploring the Virtual World and chatting with you. And every day, I am thankful for these opportunities and look forward to every new person that I get to meet. What an exciting year it’s been here on the IFC. And I’m already even more excited to see what awaits us in the next year!

Dear IFC, dear Infinite Flight: I wish you some quiet and peaceful last weeks in this decade, and a fantastic year 2020, much health, success, joy and energy. May what you hope and wish become reality, may you achieve what you’re striving for, may you find what you’re looking for. I am looking forward to looking back on 2020 in one year and I am curious to see what there will be to report.

Take care of yourself, take care of each other!
Marc

Last Years Post

79 Likes

Take care as well, @Marc! And to the rest of the community, Happy New Years! May the next decade be the best!
Sincerily,
@Pingu

1 Like

Thank you Marc for this beautiful heart-warming message. May health, wellness, and joy be with you as well :)

2 Likes

I think this paragraph is the one I like the most.

A heartfelt speech, @Marc. I wish us all the very best for 2020 and the future. Hopefully I’ll be able to meet some of you next year at Cosford!

1 Like

Thanks for reminding us that we are 10 years older 😅 thanks for saying this Marc

4 Likes

This resounds deeply in my heart. I came back to the IFC in March of this year, and it has changed my life for the better. I’ve been able to rekindle my passion for aviation and it has made my quality of life so much better.

I’ve become a happier person, more positive in my outlook on life, and have been working on my physical well being as well. Now having lost over 30 pounds gained as a result of a very bad knee injury/surgery.

I believe that my return to the IFC has helped me through my time. It’s truly been amazing all the things I’ve been able to do, such as become an IFATC Officer and a part of multiple VA’s and VO’s.

I’ve felt like I’ve bettered myself and matured as a person.

Thanks for this incredible post, Marc.

Have a wonderful holiday season, everyone!

4 Likes

Beautifully put @Marc ! I’m excited to usher in a new year, decade, and so many great new community members, events, updates, VA/VOs, and so on. Let’s make the 2020s a great decade! It will be the first decade that IF and the IFC will exist from start to finish so this will be a major milestone and accomplishment! Now let’s savor our last bits of the decade before it’s gone, but come excited for what is to come!

1 Like

Thanks everyone!

Anytime! 😆

2 Likes

10 years ago I couldn’t tell an A320 and a 737 apart 😂

2 Likes

In this decade I overcame my fear of flying and flying became an enjoyable experience for me.

You really made my day Marc. 🎄

I was awaiting your post of inspiration, of knowledge, of wishing everyone the best of luck in their lives, a post to share thankfulness and love. I was moved and inspired to make a similar post someday. Now this decade coming to an end, I may share my own speech from my heart.

But for this post here and now, I’d like to say, Thank You Marc for everything you’ve done for this community over the years you have been here. Do always handle every situation with a smile, to always make fun jokes to make someone laugh and enjoy their time, for carrying out a duty as a moderator, as if you have been one for years gone by.

I hope to see a 2020, bright, enjoying and happy for everyone, to all of IFAET, IFAE, IFVARB, all other VA/VO out there. To all the Pilots that make the skies of IF busy. To all IFATC who keeps traffic flow smoothly and provide a World-Class service. To all the Moderators and Staff who keep this Community running smoothly, and the App to to be flawlessly working. To all the Developers who made Infinite Flight, to Infinite Flight, to what it is today, to what is was in the past, to what it will be in the future, for a decade gone, a decade well learned of all the mistakes, all the rights, all the fun, all the sorrow, all the anger, all the confusion, all the emotions we have felt… this is the end of an decade, an era, where Infinite Flight tookoff, and united us all.

For A Decade to Come — 2020!

~10 Years Has Gone By Fast, 20 Years Since The 2000s Began, Another 80 Years Till This Century Ends~

This may as well be the Start to my speech for all of IFC, to come before 2019 formally says Goodbye, but for now, spread your wings and…!

Fly High, Fly Far, Soar Into The Sky & Head Towards 2020, Go! 🛫
1 Like

Thanks for the kind words 😊🎄

1 Like

It’s been a great decade. From real life to infinite flight, so much has happened. I took my first ever flight this decade, on a Piper Cherokee. That was 5 years ago. And now we’re nearing the end of this fabulous decade, I look back on the whole thing. At the beginning, I thought “Jumbo Jet” and “Spitfire” were the only planes. Now, at the end of the decade, I’m on IFC, and I know all these things about aviation, part of this amazing sim called IF.

During the (almost full) decade IF has existed — in one form or another, it’s been great learning about the early days of the sim. And in 2014, I discovered this sim. So I’ve been flaying for almost a half decade! It may have been less than a year on IFC, but I feel like I’ve been here from the start, it’s such an amazing place here. I really hope to still be playing IF and active on the IFC at the end of the next decade.

On to the next decade we go. When I started this decade, I never dreamed I would dream of being a pilot. I didn’t even know I liked planes! Now, looking to the next decade, I hope to get my pilots license, and even become a commercial pilot! The places IF will go with the technology that will be developed, I honestly can’t imagine the possibilities.

Here’s to a great decade past, and here’s to another great one!

😃😄😁😎

Now we all just have to wait for New Year’s Eve. 😉

1 Like

Thank you very much for this great post, wishing you the same! Dankeschön!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.