De-icing Procedure Questions

Hey IFC! I have a few questions regarding de-icing procedures. Tomorrow I plan to fly out of KCOS in Infinite Flight, and temperature look like they’ll be below 32 degrees F. I was wondering if my plane would need to be de-iced in a real life scenario? Is there a way to check to see if planes are getting de-iced? Also, where do planes get de-iced at KCOS? I know some airports have pads, but I know at KBOS you push back from the gate a bit, start the engines, then they de-ice you. Thanks for your time!

At this time, de-icing is not an option in Infinite Flight. You just start the flight and get on your way. If you’d like to see de-icing in the sim, feel free to give it a vote!

I know it isn’t, I want to simulate it like real-life. I was just asking about the procedure for it as I try to be as realistic as possible.

Just because temps are <32 degrees doesn’t mean you necessarily have to de ice, only is there is ice accumulation on the aircraft. So recent precipitation or frost conditions would be a factor.

Is there like a website or a good way to check that?

You could just look at the weather for that region. No specific resource comes to mind.

Ok, thanks for the help!

Do you predict frost or a chance of de-icing at KCOS tomorrow morning though?

I don’t know if COS is busy enough for this but you could also just check the FlightRadar for the airport around your departure time. If you find that planes are sitting on the taxiway or somewhere else for an extended period of time they may be deicing.

1 Like

I’ve flown a lot of times in cold weather and had de-iced just a few times. Just 2 weeks ago I flew with Delta Connection CRJ900, with the temperature in the low 30s. We were just gonna pushback and go but the Capt notice ice on one of the wings so he requested a de-iced truck. So I guess is situation specific. I see nothing wrong in simulating it on IF.
Here’s KCOS airport layout and the de-iced location:

Hey, this video by flightdeck2sim might help.

1 Like

Good find. The punch line of your video link appears to be:

One could look at the airport weather and just assume there is ice buildup requiring deicing if those conditions are likely met (irl you’d visually inspect).

2 Likes

I know at least at MSP, generally one engine is started, they taxi over to the de ice stand, get de iced, and start the other engine. It’s a massive operation, one of the largest de ice operations in the airport, perhaps the largest after Denver, and so they have things down to a science. Still, the wait can be quite long, and it wouldn’t make sense to start the second engine and just waste all that jet fuel waiting around.

Here’s the overnight weather at KCOS (I’m departing at 6AM MST) so to me it looks like de-icing would be needed, but I’m not 100% sure:

It really depends. IRL, I’ve been in de ice situations where it’s cold, but hasn’t precipitated for days, and situations where there’s been light snow but no de ice.

I’m gonna say no. You don’t need a de-icing

Awesome, thank you!

It depends on the airport.

Somewhere like KDEN or KMSP, you just pop into a de-icing ramp during your taxi and sit there for a while.

It is different when de-icing is done at the gate.

1 Like

In general you can expect frost to develop in the fall/winter/spring overnight hours when the following occurs:

• Temps less than 37 degrees Fahrenheit
  • Humidity in the higher end of the spectrum
  • Clear skies
  • Calm or light winds
  • When the air temperature and dew point are within 5 degrees Fahrenheit of one another

If the the flight is the first flight of the day and there is frost most airlines will pre-spray (deice) the aircraft before the ground crew even starts working the aircraft. Where I deice we will even do this after a heavy night of accumulating snow to speed up the Deicing process at departure. Otherwise deicing and anti-icing occurs at departure after all cargo, bags and passengers are loaded and all doors are closed. If done at the gate most US domestic airlines will push the plane back 5-10 feet, configure the aircraft and we spray away. If there is a Deicing pad the aircraft will taxi over and will be assigned a Deicing bay. Once taxied into position they will call “Iceman” over the Deicing frequency and state what treatments they want performed on the aircraft. Ultimately it is the Captain’s call if we deice or not. I’ve seen planes leave with an inch of snow and not deice where I have begged them to reconsider. I’ve deiced when air temp was 55 degrees and there was fuel frost.

Infinite flight there is no de icing procedures