DC-10/MD-11 Retractable Landing Lights

I’ve done some digging into MD aircraft, and I’ve noticed the MD-80 and the MD-11 have foldable landing lights. On the MD-11 they’re located on the side of the body and pop out to face frontwards.

It has 3 modes:
OFF (unextended)
EXTEND (extended/light off)
ON (extended light on)

This is very unique, and I’d love for this to be put on the MD-11 model! As far as I know, on the MD-80 the foldable lights create drag once deployed, I’d assume the same would be for the MD-11, so it would be cool if the lights would affect the physics of the plane as well.

In this picture the light is located under the first passenger window, just before the door.

Photo by: Sebastian Fernandez Bielkiewicz/Simplementevolar: http://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/8/5/7/1567758.jpg?v=v40

Wow that’s really cool, I never knew this either.

5 Likes

#TheMoreYouKnow

I changed the picture, its a better close up. Shame theyre not on though. The hunt is on!

5 Likes

Wow! Interesting. Add this and functioning cargo doors on the MD-11 and I’m satisfied.

5 Likes

Found the best picture. Has the lights folded out and turned on :)

3 Likes

It was worth the searching, looks great!

3 Likes

Oh, that would be amazing! Great request.

3 Likes

I never knew this. Nice request!

3 Likes

So does the landing lights on the A320 family and many others aircrafts :) It would be a very interesting feature to have…
Check out the video of an A320 landing lights unfolding (3:28):

10 Likes

Wow, that’s awesome too! They look huge.

1 Like

nice deatail there needed

1 Like

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t the airbus a320 family also have folding lights on the wing?

1 Like

Is ‘Moeder Teresa’ Dutch for Mother Teresa?

5 Likes

Great feature request, love it :)

2 Likes

It’s Dutch for Honda Civic.

10 Likes

I know right that would be awesome

2 Likes

I like this idea mate I hope it is added

4 Likes

The A320 series has this, too. They are located between the fuselage and the landing gear.

1 Like

That’s very nice. It’s a spoiler-let type of thing.

2 Likes

Considering the developers added folding landing lights on the a320, they probably will also add it for the MD 11

3 Likes