DC-10 / MD-11 Landing Tutorial

Well, now that you’ve seen the takeoff tutorial, you need to know how to be able to land in the DC-10 and MD-11. In this video, I cover the approach speeds, flap settings, pitch angle, and more. These aircraft are a lot of fun to takeoff and land with, but they can be challenging. This video will help you have a better idea on how to safely land the iconic DC-10 and MD-11!

Happy Landings!

82 Likes
DC-10 landing issue
250 kn speed violation
KDC10 Refueling altitude/speed?
MD-11/F - DC-10/F Instructional Flight
Auto pilot off
pinned #2

Nice Tutorial SkyHawk Heavy Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks for the tutorial Mark! A lot of people (including me) really appreciate these lessons.

2 Likes

Cool thanks Mark. This will help me with landing because it seems a little difficult but hopefully i can land this plane well

1 Like

Thanks Mark! I am currently watching this 8 minutes before final approach

Question,(sorry if this is the wrong page) the vertical lines on where the yellow circle is at, how is that from the runway and when landing how high should you be in AGL you you cross them on the map?

Looks good, Mark! I’ve noticed that the plane is very sensitive, is it?

I think it depends on airport airspace I believe they are about 10-12 NM from the runway. and I personally hold max 2500-3000 Feet for landing on that yellow point

someone correct me if I’m wrong

1 Like

You should be between 2000ft and 3000ft above ground at the yellow point :)

2 Likes

Great video, just wondering if one is in the works for air to air refuelling - am more curious than anything. Thanks

1 Like

We already have aerial refuelling…

1 Like

Did you forget to apply brakes? Just curious.

I meant a tutorial for it, similar to this one’s format.

Nice Tutorial, Just wanted to point out that AoA and pitch are two completely different things :)

1 Like

Very helpful tutorial, but can the microphone be louder? It was rather quiet.

Can we please redo this, airspeed is way to low for this aircraft, final approach speed is usually around 150-160. A little more research would be beneficial before releasing a tutorial to the mass. This method will have many pilots stall into runways.

6 Likes

Well technically they are related on aircraft, increasing pitch means increasing the angle of attack on the wings. But I see where you are coming from.😀

Actually that’s incorrect increasing the pitch does not always mean increasing the AoA, example in a turn, etc.

That is the outer marker for the localiser, which is 6nm from the runway threshold, like others have mentioned, it depends on airport elevation but it is typically 1400ft AGL. So you should intercept the glide slope at around 1400 AGL.