Dash 8 Maximum Flight Ceiling and Cruise Speed

I have been kinda curious as to why Ethiopian Airways operate their Dash 8 Q400 beyond manufacturer’s specifications. Maximum cruise speed is stated as 360kts and max cruise altitude 27000ft. Here is what I saw on Flightradar

1 Like

Could be a Flight Radar error… The Dash is really not certified to that height and is not able to fly that high

Please move to Real World Aviation

@PH-AJO @Aernout @Heavydriver

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

1 Like

That’s very weird

1 Like

It’s one of the following:
#thuglife
• Flightradar error
• Plane is late
• They just do this on every flight

3 Likes

Has anyone been on a Dash 8?? How was your experience?? I’ll be flying in it for the first time on Sunday.

I’ve been on a Dash 8-100. It was pretty noisy behind the engines.

1 Like

Airplanes max certified ceilings are just that, a “certified ceiling”. I have no doubt the Q400 can get up that high as it has some pretty impressive motors on it. The reason it’s not certified higher than 25000 has to do with the time to descend to 14000. An airplane that is equipped to fly passengers above 25000 has to be able to descend to 14000 feet with 4 mins. Another thing is aircraft that are certified above 25000 have to have quick donning mask which can be put. On with one hand in 5 seconds or less. I’m not 100% sure but I don’t think the Q has quick donning type mask but I could be wrong. Most airplanes can go higher than their certified ceiling but it has to do with regulations that govern aircraft certification.

Best,

HD

4 Likes

1 Like

In case you lose cabin pressure at cruise, you must descend to 14,000 as soon as possible to get regular pressure again.

2 Likes

1 Like

Exactly my point.

But they can’t risk them running out either.

2 Likes

Sorry, my message must have got cut out. In case of depressurization they have to make it to 14k or below in 4 mins or less

1 Like

ET-ANH is a Boeing 737-700 operated by ASKY Airlines (“KP” is its IATA code).

Kinshasa to Libreville isn’t even a route flown by Ethiopian…

The aircraft registration in the screenshot is ET-ANI not ET-ANH, which appears correct online as the Ethiopian Dash 8.

Look at what’s written under the callsign.