Dash 8 climbs dramatically after autopilot disengaged

Hi,

Does anyone have a recommended landing method on the Dash 8 for Autopilot disengage just prior to landing. I disengage a minute or so prior to landing and the aircraft sometimes climbs dramatically completely throwing off my landing. I know disengaging this close to landing is real-world as it was recently discussed on FlightCast by a real life Q400 pilot.

Here’s a few notes on my current set up a minute prior to landing

Flaps 15
Speed 100-120 (have tried various combos)
Glide scope perfectly on target

If anyone can suggest a workable set up that stops the plane from crazily pitching up after the AP is disengaged - I’d be very greatful.

Cheers

2 Likes

Check this out:

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

…Or just wait until the FPV meets the neutral position with the HUD. You would either need to increase or decrease speed to do so

2 Likes

MaxSez: what’s your Trim Setting? What’s your weight distribution? Where’s your Center of Gravity? What’s your Gross Landing weight? Auto Pilot should be used in cruise primarily! Fly the Damm Plane…

4 Likes

As @Maxmustang said, you shouldn’t be using autopilot during your final approach. When you reach the ILS/GPS triangle, you should deactivate the autopilot unless there are strong crosswinds and you can’t control the plane well.

1 Like

This might help a bit, this is a guide I made to help land the Dash 8 Q400

2 Likes

Calibrate the device before you disengage, or fly the @&$! plane as @Maxmustang said

2 Likes

MaxSez: I suggest you always re-Calibrate “After” the AP disengages autonomously or at your command.

2 Likes

Question; Why do you always say “MaxSez”?

1 Like

As said above, recalibrate before disengaging autopilot.

2 Likes

@Keegan_Gidley. No my friend you recalibrate after you disengage the AP. if you recal when it engaged your just resetting the AP profile. As for “Max Sends”… Muscle memory, I wrote thousands of messages while on active duty with the Marines. I always closed the msg with my personal sign off/end text. Everybody did it, Plus it’s my personal preference! The Forum rule don’t allow such a sign off so now I use the salutation; MaxSez or MadMax sends when I’m PO’d.
Personal preference, why not. Regards.

2 Likes

######anyway, anytime with any aircraft,
i recommend you to
#Calibrate
Before desengaging autopilot! :)

its a thing i made in everycase (before take off, before setting off autopilot)

3 Likes

I usually re-calibrate, hold my phone still, then turn AP off.

When ever I’m in a plane that has autopilot, I calibrate my device before disengaging the autopilot.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I’ll try to recalibrate after disengaging AP and see if that helps. Re “flying” the plane. I do full manual landings and enjoy that, but also enjoy learning learning all the features such as AP. Interestingly the last episode of FlightCast with a real life Dash pilot indicated that disengaging autopilot 80 ft prior to touchdown wasn’t unusual (if I recall correctly).

Just prior to disengaging, do the “calibrate” and then disengage, you should be fine.

Hope this helps

1 Like