Dancing A320 Throttle

Recently, on a flight from Sydney to Melbourne in the A320, I noticed just how crazy the throttle can get. Not too sure if this happens in real life lol. I saved the replay and you can watch it here. It’s almost like it’s trying to do a majestic dance…

Is this an issue with the A320? Or is it just a funny glitch? Either way I am not complaining/

6 Likes

This usually happens when you have your speed set in autopilot and going through high winds. Not too sure if it happens in real life though

5 Likes

Adding on what has been said: The A/P in IF is very sensitive (especially regarding speed) and is dealing very intensely with high winds or turbulence (at least on the A320 family). If it gets too much I would consider going manual speed (which you would do IRL as well in severe turbulence as far as I am aware).

5 Likes

deleted now

1 Like

For example when setting a new speed the autopilot should set the power considering limiting acceleration or deceleration.
Example : flying at 210 kts I set 250 kts the power raises a bit but never reaches 100% — my dream

3 Likes

Very interesting.
That is strange how it does that.

Not 100% sure if I understand you correctly, but if you’re referring to the IF A/P that’s the reason there’s a feature request for smoother transitions!

1 Like

I’ve just voted for it. As we are limited in number of votes, good ideas are not really put forward

1 Like

Well, the limitiere number of votes helps to prioritise what the community really wishes and not just what they all would like to see implemented (which would probably around 50% of all feature requests in my case).

Thanks for voting!

2 Likes

Well ideally when autothrust is engaged the thrust levers wouldn’t move, they would remain in the CL detent. Seeing the thrust levers do their thing when A/T is engaged is so frustrating

2 Likes

I can’t watch the replay right now but I have had a dancing throttle on the A320 before on approach (not sure why but I managed to fix it) but another cause might be wind gusts

1 Like

Exact same thing happened to me. It’s due to the winds aloft down. The airport which you are departing from has high gusts, which aren’t usually at higher altitudes, and due to the winds aloft being down, the gusts stay with you the whole flight (or until another METAR is picked up). And since you are being battered with inconsistent winds varying from 25-35 kts, your autopilot needs to adjust to your set speed, which is being increased and decreased due to the gusts.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.