D-Day: 1944 - 6 June - 2023: Some images of participant Allied aircraft

1944 - 6 June - 2023: 79 years.

6 June 1944, Normandy. The Western Allies begin the invasion of the beaches of Normandy, code named Sword, Juno, Gold, Omaha and Utah. Tens of thousands of Allied soldiers cross the English channel in landing ships and storm the German Atlantic Wall. In spite of their best efforts, the Germans are pushed back, and the beaches are secured in the coming days. This is the beginning of the liberation of France first, and Europe next. In the East, Stalin gives commence to Operation Bagration, the push to Berlin.
Starting June, the Thousand Year Reich will lose ground, slowly shrinking until the Allied armies reach Berlin, putting an end to more than 10 years of Nazi terror.

Here are some internet photos of Allied aircraft with their D-Day bands:

B-26 Marauder (https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/1789416/operation-overlord-d-day/)

P-47D Thunderbolt: (File:358th Fighter Group P-47D Starting.jpg - Wikipedia)

C-47 Skytrain (To Honor and Remember: D-Day - FLYING Magazine)

P-51D Mustang (The Sky Above Us - Tour: D-Day in the Air)

Bristol Beufighter TF.X (mine, taken at the RAF Museum London)

P-51D VF*D (mine, taken at the RAF Museum London)

Hawker Typhoon Mk.I (mine, taken at the RAF Museum London).

If you wish to see where the Luftwaffe was during D-Day, check out this video from Military Aviation History during the 73rd Anniversary of D-Day.

10 Likes

WWII fun fact:
When scoping out how to liberate Nazi concentration camps, the Allies raided Nazi Air Force bases, and stole their planes so as not to raise any alarms for the Nazis guarding the concentration camps. As far as they knew, it was just another German plane.

That’s actually how they liberated Auschwitz, one of the deadliest concentration camps in all of WWII.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.