Curved flight plans

So currently when making a flight plan, the game draws a straight line directly to the next waypoint from the previous one. We all know how some airport procedures can have some sharp turns, which is one of the main reasons why the autopilot reacts like it does; So this suggestion goes hand in hand with “smoother transitions for the autopilot.” I’m suggesting that when we add sids or stars or additional waypoints to our flpn, the game adds a “curved” line instead of a “direct” line, as some direct lines can be sharp, especially if they’re more than 45 degrees. This will allow us to correctly judge how much we need to turn to stay on flight plan, when we’re manually flying, and it will allow for softer autopilot transitions. This will also add more realism to the game, as this is how flight plans look on the MFDs in glass cockpits.

This is a great idea! Would definitely smooth out LNAV. Got my vote. (Don’t forget to vote for your own request)

6 Likes

Thank you for reminding me.

1 Like

Hi Aaron, you can vote for it here. IF’s Autopilot transitions are not that smooth so we need it to be fixed so we don’t have our passengers getting thrown to the other side of the aircraft on hitting a waypoint.

1 Like

I actually already voted for that. My suggestion isn’t a direct improvement to the autopilot, but for the flight plans, and that might improve the autopilot.

1 Like

ah, i see. You mean on the displays and map right?

1 Like

correct, but the autopilot will also follow the curve, so the turns won’t be as sharp. The autopilot wouldn’t need to change, the way that flpns are created will, and the way that it follows the flight plan would. Hope that makes sense.

If I’m correct are you talking about this? @Aaron_Markowitz

17 Likes

that is correct

3 Likes

A wonderful idea but don’t have any votes left

3 Likes

wonderful! will make turns less sensitive and harsh! you have my vote!

4 Likes

Wow! I actually though just of that before stumbling on this thread! You definitely have my vote!

4 Likes

this is something that I have been wanting. You got my vote!

3 Likes

This definitely has to be added into IF, great thinking!

3 Likes

I liked. You have my support. I just can’t vote on that right now.

1 Like

I am out of votes right now but you have my full support!
This could be of great use when flying DME arcs!

2 Likes

My support 100%

3 Likes

Bump. This will be a great addition in future.

1 Like

Great idea! Got my vote!

1 Like

Voted! This is something we should have