Curve of Earth Subtlety

I would just like to take a second and appreciate the curvature of the earth on IF. Thank you developers for thinking about and putting that in. It really adds to the experience!

2 Likes

I’m actually the opposite, in reality, (and please correct me if I’m wrong) you can’t start seeing the curvature of the earth with the naked eye until around 35,000ft - and even then it’s extremely subtle. In IF, at 10,000ft you can see it and I find it very unrealistic. I actually was considering suggesting the developers remove this feature. At 30,000ft in IF, the curvature is so extreme you’d be able to circumnavigate earth in about 3 hours. Just my opinion

3 Likes

Interesting, i wouldn’t know what the curve of the earth was like at 30,000 so ur probably right, i didn’t realize. Would someone shed some light about the realism of the curve.

You are way wrong i can EASILY see the curvature of the earth from 1,000 feet up in real life ive even seen it when i was 700 feet up in a plane:()

Ive seen the curvature of the earth at sea level!!

3 Likes

Go to the coast and look at the ocean.
You will be able to see the earth curvature at ground level.

3 Likes

@Carson. I saw it! I saw It! I saw a real elephant once. LOL, give me a break. On this forum you must be careful of what you post, there is no such thing a truth here.
Grin and bare it Carson, it comes with the territory.
Mad Max Sends

3 Likes

No, you can see the curvature directly forwards as the horizon line is like 40km ahead, therefore it curves downwards and away, thus forming the actual horizon that you see. You cannot see the curve from left to right until around 35,000ft, do some research.

A famous interesting fact about the Concorde, was that it cruised so high (around 55,000+ feet) that you can actually noticeably see the horizon curvature. They made that point because you CANNOT see it at 700 feet like you suggest! Give me a break @laurens @blackbird71

1 Like

Haha @Blackbird71 @MitchellJames its not that big of a deal. I’ll do some research and see what I find :smiley:

It was in a flat area

This is an example of an unwinnable argument, since it is completely subjective.
Those who see it, see it.
Those who don’t see it, don’t.
And then there are those who see it but believe it is an optical illusion.

3 Likes

Oh so not even over the ocean? So let me get this straight, you were flying at 700ft, on some magical land that was so perfectly flat it didn’t even deviate 1 inch over a 19km stretch, the visibility was unlimited, and you saw the curve? From over 19km away, you were able to observe and articulate, with your own naked eye, with no reference point whatsoever, against all mathematical equations, an 8 inch deviation per mile?

I assume you also sit on the roof of your mums house and count how many rocks are on the surface of Pluto during your break as the secret 5th member of the Fantastic4?

It’s actually not subjective, it’s maths.

The point is, while the curve looks kinda cool in IF, it’s so extremely unrealistic and exaggerated in IF that in my opinion, I think it’s something they need to adjust

1 Like

I completely agree that the curvature of the earth in IF is greatly, and unrealistically exaggerated.
I was just speaking to the ability to perceive the curvature of the earth from ground level.

4 Likes

Agree, Thomas. It is exaggerated, but what’s the difference? That has no impact on the quality of the IF experience and, again you’re right, it is an unwinnable argument.

I’ve seen it from a cockpit at 45,000 feet once and at 41,0000 feet a number of times. It is certainly noticeable but the subtlety of it (if you take a moment and reflect) helps you to comprehend how big the Earth is, despite how small our world is becoming.

4 Likes

Can we put this topic to bed pls😀😀😀

2 Likes

You should keep a heads up to where your going

I try, but I can’t get my bearings correct, the curvature of the earth throws me off after 200ft!

1 Like

Ahahahahhaahah :joy:

You’ve made your point, but there’s no need to call other users “idiots” or tell them to “stfu”.

Thanks.

1 Like