Cuffed Wings

Ever looked at a Cirrus and wondered, what the heck is going on with the wings?!

If you don’t know what I’m on about, it’s this:

The wing has two main different angles of attacks. Put simply, this means it makes the Aeroplane harder to stall.

Initially the in-board part of the wing stalls first. This is because of a stall inducer, which starts the stall at the Wing fairing.

How does it work? Very simple, it spoils the air around the wing fairing, and starts the stall there.

It is also helped by a stall strip, located on the leading edge of the wing, near the fairing, this separates the airflow over the wing.

This image doesn’t show it great, the inducer is actually hidden by the Doodles, it’s at the bottom of the circle.

The wing is stalled in-board to out-board, why? It’s so the whole wing doesn’t stall, and part of the wing which isn’t stalled, specifically, contains the ailerons, so, when part of the wing is stalled, you still have sufficient airflow over the ailerons.

However, there are a few disadvantages, it is very hard to stall the whole wing, but also very hard to recover the whole wing from a stall. And plus, looks a bit ugly 🤷🏽‍♂️

So in summary, the stall starts onboard and travels outboard when the aeroplane progressively increases it’s higher angle of attack. The wing is harder to stall, but also harder to recover.

Its the Cirrus Transition Training, I am 110% Brainwashed.

15 Likes

This is really interesting. Especially because a) it’s about something I never noticed and b) even if I noticed it I wouldn’t have spent much time thinking about it.

It’s a small detail but it has a quite an impact.

You’re illustrations are nice as well. Those are the kind of topics that make me love #real-world-aviation. I learned something new today. Thank you Maksim!

4 Likes

Not a problem :) The Cirrus really is full of small features that nobody notices, but has a massive impact on safety and prevention… Thanks for reading!

Should probably add, photos are not mine, I just doodled on them.

Original Photo Credit: Rob Mark.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.