Cruising

I can never get to my cruising altitude without stalling or crashing and I don’t know why. Can someone please help? Plane:A380 KLAX-OMBD over 400k lbs in fuel.

1 Like

What was your weight, climb speed and your speed?

If you are in a heavier aircraft I would recommend step climbing to your final altitude.

1 Like

If you’re heavy. Like 400,000 KG heavy. Don’t go above FL350. You will have a lot of issues. And make sure you’re going fast enough

Welcome to IFC!

It would be helpful if you could let us know your aircraft and take off weights and climb speed (your v/s) along with your flight-plan

It’s likely to do with an attempt to climb at too high a climb rate and/or climbing too a Flight Level too high for your aircraft weight at the time.

I’d recommend having a read about step climbing, there is a useful guide to this below…

3 Likes

Maybe you go too high and you are too heavy.

1 Like

Can you give me a list of the altitudes to climb to in the climb step process?

Here is a chart for VFR:
Source: Learn to Fly

Here is a chart for IFR:
Source: Learn to Fly

Do preform step climbs on long haul flights I use IFAssistant which can be found here:

1 Like

I usually follow the altitudes and speeds from FlightAware for the equipment and route you’re flying. It shows you a nice graph and VS for the step ascents too.

Thanks! Really helped!

2 Likes

I think you are going to high and your airplane is too heavy. Remember, airplanes can stall at high altitudes.

In order to avoid further stalling or crashing, check out FPLtoIF.com. This is just a simpler and a more realistic method to do your Flight planning. Check out the topic below. 👇

2 Likes

Could potentially be from rotating too soon as-well you need to hit your v1 speed

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.