Cruising Speed

Anyone know how to hold a speed of at least 450kts at 35,000ft without being at 100% throttle?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

No, because you should not have a speed of 450 knots at FL350 (35’000 ft). less than 300 knots is more appropriate. I would sy about 260-280 knots.

1 Like

Depends on what aircraft you’re using.

1 Like

Depends on the aircraft. If you are flying an airplane that has a weight and balance set up, go and make the airplane lighter…you might be able to squeeze a few extra knots out of the plane. Another thing to consider is when you increase in altitude, your indicated airspeed will go down because the air is less dense the higher you go, therefore there is not as much air to push through the pitot tube, like you would have at a lower altitude. Something else to remember, as you increase in altitude, true airspeed increases.
If you don’t know some of these terms I used, you can google them, or find videos on youtube.

5 Likes

On most of the airliners, the normal cruise is around mach .75-.85

M.78-81 is the most popular

1 Like

Hold M.78 - .81 Its more realistic

1 Like

Good answer Hayden! Clearly put :-)

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification guys…I got confused when I saw a jetBlue A320 cruising at FL350 at 510kts. I was so stumped on how it was going that fast, and I knew it must’ve been a glitch or something

1 Like

At 510kts it was probley the ground speed you could see, rather than the airspeed!

1 Like

Yes it could have been the ground speed

450 is ground speed, NOT air speed.

1 Like

Ok got it 👌