Cruising Altitudes

Hey everyone,

For this week’s tutorial, I thought it might be helpful since we have had a significant increase in traffic on both the Expert and Training servers, to briefly go over cruising altitudes.

When filing your FPL (Flight Plan), one of the import factors that must be filed are the cruising altitudes whether you are flying IFR or even VFR. How do you know what altitudes to fly? Well here are some basic guidelines to go by to help remember the altitudes when flying above 3000 ft to below FL290 MSL in 2000 ft intervals with 1000 ft separation:

IFR

• When on a magnetic heading of 360º - 179º, fly any ODD thousand foot altitudes
    (See chart below for example)
  • When on a magnetic heading of 180º - 359º, fly any EVEN thousand foot altitudes

VFR

• When on magnetic heading of 360º - 179º, fly any ODD thousand +500 feet altitude
    (Example: 5,500 ft / 7,500 ft / 11,500 ft)
  • When on magnetic heading of 180º - 359º, fly any EVEN thousand +500 feet altitude
    (Example: 4,500 ft / 6,500 ft / 10,500 ft)
    An example of this would be flying from SAN to LAX would be 8,500 ft MSL when flying VFR)

A simple way to easily remember is:
ONE - Odd North East (North 360º to SEasterly of 179º).
ESW - Even South West (Everything else would be from 180º to 359º)

Or

NEODD SWEVEN

Cruising altitudes ABOVE FL290 MSL which requires 2000 ft separation:

IFR

• When on a magnetic heading of 360º - 179º, fly thousand foot altitudes beginning at FL290 at 4000 ft intervals
  • When on a magnetic heading of 180º - 359º, fly thousand foot altitudes beginning at FL310 at 4000 ft intervals

Hopefully you will find this helpful and everyone will start applying this to their flight planning. This should also proactively help ATC keep separation. This will take a little bit to get used to and remember but will also add to realism within the sim. Post any questions or tutorial requests below.

Happy and Safe Landings!

214 Likes
How to Calculate The Top Of Climb/Cruise Altitude?
What Altitude should I use if I fly from KLAX to MMTJ?
Rule of Thumb: Infinite Flight
Near collision on live
MaxFacts: The "Odd Northeast Rule" (Are you ready for Global?)
Flying a Flight Plan
Pilot Tutorial Guide
Infinite Flight 787-8 Cruise Altitude
Which one is correct?
[Closed] Frontier's CRJ Rework Flight @ KSAN - 192000ZMAR17
A Guide to Step Climbing
[CANCELLED] Transpacific Flight With Tailwinds Flying Club @ RKSI - 220300ZNOV17
Cruise Altitudes Reminder
Can a plane handle 100-kt headwinds?
The IFVARB’s Second VA Summit (VA Applications Closed) @ EDDF - 072000ZJUL18
Cruising altitiude and speed
Flight Levels/Magnetic Track
What is the proper way to "Check In"?
[LANDED] Los Angeles to Paris in One Night @ KLAX - 250330ZNOV17 (part 2)
Dudas Altitud y Velocidad.
DHL Virtual Recruitment/Holiday Shipping Event @ EDDF - 012100ZJAN18
Copying Flight Aware and SimBrief FPL to Infinite Flight
Global Flight | Testers Tracking Thread
Cruising Altitudes
Question of the day || Answer to 5/16 Posted || Question 5/17 Posted
Looking to get into ATC
Altitude Cruising
Details of even&odd altitude
Service ceiling for all aircraft in Infinite Flight 2
Ground School
Your Infinite Flight Live Pet Peeves
What is the cruising altitude rule
Friday Night Flight - Dulles Diversion @ KIAD - 251730ZMAY18
A Guide to Step Climbing
Pilots!!!
Air France-KLM VA Official Thread
help with 737 speeding
How To Incorporate North Atlantic Tracks (and others) Into Your Flight Plan
Favorite Route?

That’s a massive help means no chance of flying into someone now lol

3 Likes

Well who else is confued? Also I normally fly at 9,000feet is this bad lol it makes approaches easier

3 Likes

Hahaha, so you’re saying it’s about as clear as mud? Flying 9000 ft isnt bad if you are flying on a heading between 360º and 179ª.

3 Likes

Still I am as wise as a potato meybe I should just play on casual and go the speed of sound at 2,000 feet 👌

11 Likes

thanks Mark, this is a really great tutorial and one that I will book mark!

just a slight aside, in the Maritime world we convert True Courses (as laid down on charts and provided by Gyro compasses) to Magnetic Courses with the application of Variation and Deviation Whilst I wouldn’t expect much compass deviation in an aluminium tube, do you need to do much conversion from true to Magnetic or just fly the magnetic courses?

BookMARKed! 👍

6 Likes

In the VFR and IFR charts it’s layed out to where you can depict both. You have a true heading which is the direction the plane is heading. A true course which is the actual direction your flying. Then you have magnetic deviation which is either a easterly or westerly correction. Then you can get your magnetic heading and your wind correction angle. Then you can get your magnetic course. So really we use both. You fly a magnetic heading though, and that’s what the altitudes are based off of.

2 Likes

Thanks, yes I thought that the gyro compass be too large to fit on an aircraft so would have to fly Magnetic. Of course that can get very tricky around the Poles!

1 Like

What are intervals?

I didn’t understand because I’m italian, We italian need an italian section

1 Like

try google translate if you get stuck with the translations!

Very helpful Mark, thanks;-)…I already started using it, it’s really easy, thanks

Same here but I still want to be a pilot

Thanks Mark, Really helpful! I shall use this to fly in the future

1 Like

This was a very helpful tutorial, as always!

Thank you very much for a clear guide!

This is really awesome information to know. Thank you!

Bumped. This is well written and is good, basic knowledge and the ‘Expert’ (and I use the term lightly) server was just full of incorrect cruise altitudes.

Yup can file a flightplan when flying VFR too… that’s what I do when flying (irl). Sadly infinite flight doesn’t make a difference between VFR and IFR…