Cruising Altitude Question

Hi I have a question what’s the best cruising altitude I should fly ?

Depends how heavy your aircraft is I would use fpltoif.com

I usually fly between 30 to 35,000 feet do you recommend this?

That’s fine for most aircraft.

don’t forget this either

It all depends on the weather and your weight. Just use fpltoif.com, and use the SimBrief feature. It’ll give you a flight plan, cruising altitude, and ascent/descent speeds.

1 Like

Ok I’ll take a look at that thank you 👍🏽

What I do is I google the type of aircraft and the cruise altitude; For example, “boeing 737-700 cruise altitude”

I usually cruise around 26,000 (FL260) to 27,500 (FL275), I know it’s very low but I like to get to my destinations fast, also I like to enjoy the scenery.

Thank you for the advice

There is not a set cruise altitude.

Ok I wasn’t sure

the manufacturer provides a maximum, and wikipedia will most likely give you an average

Ok thank you I’ll take a look 👍🏽

Thank you everyone for the advice I wasn’t sure but I got a good idea from everyone’s advice
Thank you everybody for you’re time I appreciate it 👍🏽

1 Like

The link to the RVSM Airspace rules is the important one.

“Depends on your weight” or “…your mood” or whatever skip the most important part.

If your magnetic track is between:

360 and 179, you need to be at an odd flight level (FL290, FL310, FL330, etc)

180 and 359, even flight level (FL320, FL340, FL360, etc.)

The weight, distance and all that come into play when choosing which of those, so long as you’re correctly at an odd or even flight level.

(If some of you are ever wondering why when you ask Departure to cruise eastbound at FL340 and you get FL330 or FL350, even if you ask three times, that’s why.)

2 Likes

Your cruise alt will depend on sometimes winds. Like people have mentioned above www.fpltoif.com is a good place to get your alt as it will show you a suitable alt for that route and aircraft, you can also choose the option of step climbing with is good also to save fuel.

Thanks for the advice

1 Like

Let’s say I’m a pilot in my coach at home. I’ll deal with mountains as I can.
FLxxx = number of Nm + 20.
Max FL360/370.
Example: a 100 Nm flight plan done 100+20, FL120
Yes I’m a very pilot but it works very well to have at least 30% climb 40% cruise and 30% descent

The higher you go, the faster you go so if you stay low you use more fuel and also fly slower.

Suggest you use fpltoif to help with your planning both on height as well as fuel to use.

1 Like