Cruise levels

What are the IF rules about choosing a flight level where non-US flight levels are in use?
Things I can think of:

• Western Europe: Odd going south
  • NZ: Odd going north
  • China: flight levels are 100ft higher than US equivalents
  • NATS tracks: Level specified on NOTAM, both odd and even work
  • Routes jumping between going E and W all the time (like 359, 0, 358, 1, …)
    Would you use US flight levels or use what simbrief gives you?
1 Like

If You want, choose Your own or the ones fpltoif.com provide. If You’re trying for realism in Expert, You can research for it on the internet, reflecting the RWA rules.

I was just wondering if the US rules should be used everywhere in IF to avoid mid air collisions lol, even though they are not a thing.

1 Like

You can use the realistic rules, but in my opinion just use the Simbrief/fpltoif data.

China uses metric. It’s not just 100 feet higher. (There’s standards about when to round up or down to the nearest 100 feet, but that’s not the same thing.)

(Well…in RVSM airspace it works out that way, I guess. I suppose if you’re IFR you’ll probably be in that range, but not every flight level along the entire spectrum is what I meant.)

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I meant by the 100 ft higher thing.
Althought there are a LOT of flights below FL300 in China for some reason. Once I thought my long haul flight was possibly returning to Shanghai because we flew at like FL250 until Japan then climbed above 300 lol

I recommend you search these topics before you post questions about them just incase someone else made one and has answers in their comments 😁

1 Like

That’s due to Chinese airspace being extremely busy I believe.

or maybe because there are just a lot of short flights

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.