Crosswinds

In videos I’ve watched, a crosswind from say, the left, will point the nose left and push the aircraft right. However, in IF I feel like only the nose direction is affected.

4 Likes

Hello 👋,
Would you be able to elaborate upon the circumstances and situation in which that affected you so that I could see what might have went wrong?
Cheers mate!
Daniel

Hello there! Crosswind landings could be tricky, and depending on the amount of wind and calibration of your device, the amount of push you experience could change.

You can final all the information that you need about crosswind landings here, demonstrated by the man himself, Tyler!

3 Likes

I understand the takeoff part, boi are those physics confusing.

For Landing if the wind is coming from the left, your nose of the aircraft will be pointing to the right but your aircraft will still be moving to the left. you can check it out in the hud and experiment it out with the winds in solo. The Circle is basically your indicator of where your aircraft is heading to.

1 Like

For Landing if the wind is coming from the left, your nose of the aircraft will be pointing to the right but your aircraft will still be moving to the left. I think you meant the other way round 🙂

1 Like

I was taking of from VOHS RWY 09R. Had a crosswind 10kts crosswind come from the left. As I’ve normally experienced, the plane should start veering left, right? But it didn’t. It turned right and I corrected to the left. I just thought that was odd.

1 Like

It’s not the nose actually that’s getting caught. The nose has minimal responsibility in how or where the nose ultimately gets pointed during a cross wind situation.

Instead it’s the tail. So if you have a wind coming from the left, the aircraft will turn to the left to point into the wind. Thus, requiring you to add right rudder to keep the aircraft tracking straight down the runway.

See this video for a quick and explanation. Instead of a weather vane, picture it with an aircraft.

1 Like

I’ll show u an example

Actually, your correct. I was confused for a second.

Interesting. Hopefully Deer’s solution helped with your inquiry.

I agree. In my case, the complete opposite happened. I’d have provided the replay if I hadn’t deleted it already.

To throw another wrench in the gears, does anybody know what actually makes the aircraft turn? 👀

1 Like

In what situation though. You could mean in many lol.

When it sees something surprising, it turns to look.

2 Likes

In flight. What part of the aircraft actually causes it to turn?

1 Like

The pilot.

2 Likes

Adding on what Sooraj, your roll which is your ailerons and sometimes flaperon. If its with wind then you could say the airflow that goes on the wind and moves around. And sometimes your throttle. (Like that one situation where the yoke was messed up).

But I can easily roll the airplane using aileron and not turn.

1 Like

uhhhhhhhhh. Rudder 🤷‍♂️

Well, We know their’s lift and drag. Your Wings?