Crosswind takeoff

Hello everyone !!! there is some tutorials of crosswind takeoff ?? thanks !!

Turn your yoke into the wind during take off and use a lot of rudder once you life off to stay on the runway centerline

1 Like

It’s pretty difficult since nose wheel and rudder are coupled.

2 Likes

Why is it difficult?? The nose wheel has no effect once you’re airborne

2 Likes

Ok, but try to stay on the centerline while rolling down the runway without oversteering.

1 Like

Hi,

Check the tutorials category

1 Like

Thank you!!!

I have my rudder and nose wheel uncoupled

How?
As far as I know it’s not possible.

1 Like

it’s not possible, aileron and front wheel uncoupling is

1 Like

You are correct, that is what I was thinking. I find crosswind landings and take offs much easier with auto coordination “Off”.

1 Like

@Ben_M here us something you can try for crosswind take offs. I have also included a copy of my take off tutorial I had made for my FB group page.

1. Go to your settings and turn off “Auto coordination”

2. Use minimum flaps.

3. Tilt your device forward to force your nose wheel down. If you find your plane starts moving off center, try adding more pressure. Too much pressure will collapse your nose wheel on some planes, so keep practicing to find the right balance.

4. Gradually move throttle to 91% N1, some planes may require 98%

5. Your plane should stay straight until you reach V1. However, have your thumb on the rudder in case you need to make slight adjustments to keep it on the center line.

6. 10kts below V1, start taking pressure off the front nose and at the same time start moving the rudder slider in the same direction that the wind arrow is pointing to keep the nose of your plane pointing straight.

7. Once your wheels leave the ground your FPV will appear, continue to pull the rudder so that the nose of the aircraft (indicated by the - v- in your attitude indicator) remains lined up with your FPV (the little circle inside your HUD).
    Note : depending on winds and aircraft, be prepared to pull the rudder all the way to one side. When I take off in the ERJ 190 with a 20kt crosswind, I have to slide the rudder almost all the way to the one side for a straight and level take off.

8. Now the tricky part. If you let go of the rudder to bring your gears up, your plane will quickly roll to one side, not something you want to happen. What you need to do now is; hold your rudder where it is, and with your left hand or right finger, tap on the gear up button and HDG buttons.

9. Once your gears are up, slowly return your rudder to centre. If you let it go or move to fast one of your wings will dip to one side again.

10. All this time you need to also maintain the correct attitude (pitch) and speed.

11. Now you can continue with the rest of your climb as explained in the tutorial below.

Yes, there is a lot going on, which is why in my opinion, take offs are more difficult than landings, and crosswind take offs are exponentially more difficult than crosswind landings.

Give it a try and let me know how you are doing. Don’t expect immediate results, as it takes a lot of practice. I have about 1400 takes-offs in Live alone, and it’s still tricky, especially with the smaller jets. I don’t fly anything larger then the 737.

Here is my take-off tutorial that will take you to cruising altitude.

HOW TO DETERMINE TAKE OFF AND CLIMB SPEEDS.

Because they produce less drag, better acceleration, better fuel consumption, and produces less noise, both flaps 1 and 5 are used by Airlines.

Flaps 5 is probably to most common flap setting used for a full 737.

With flaps 5, start accelerating by moving your throttle to N1 40%, once you pass through the 10kts move it up to 91-92% N1.

Keep some forward pressure on your nose wheel.

Calculate your V2 by subtracting 5 from your gross weight. For example, 57,798 kg rounded to 58 - 5 = V2 of 153kts. Start rotation a bit earlier.

Start pulling your yoke up about 10kts earlier. In order to avoid a tail strike, make sure not to exceed a pitch of 10° on the 737-700 and 800, and no more than 6° with the 737-900.

After wheels lift off the ground, pitch up your attitude to about 15° at a rate of 2-3 degrees per second.

You will want to maintain a takeoff speed of V2 +15-20kts (16x - 17xkts) until acceleration height. I know Westjet Airlines pitch up to about 15-18 degrees.

The acceleration height is the altitude that the aircraft transitions from takeoff speed (V2+15/20) to climb out speed. This altitude is usually between 1000 and 1500 feet, usually determined by both company and airport.

Once the Acceleration Height has been reached, reduce attitude pitch by pushing the yoke forward to increase speed. As the speed increases Flaps 5 is retracted. You can engage the auto VS, after flaps are retracted, but wait until the bottom of your “-v-” in your attitude indicator is in the centre of your FPV (little circle in you HUD), to avoid the nose bump. You will need to experiment with your trim to find the sweet spot.

Climb speed is about 210-220 kias. Slowly reduce you N1 until you are able to maintain this speed at about a VS of 2500 fpm. Once you pass through 10,000 feet (or sooner) , you can lower your pitch and allow to plane to increase speed without adjusting the N1.

Cruising speed for the 737-700 and 800 is M. 78 at which time you would reduce your N1 again, probably close to about 66% depending on weight, winds and altitude.

I know the fun and focus is on landing, but a good take off and climb out is just as important, just as difficult and just as much fun to master :)

13 Likes

@Thomas thank you very much for the explanation. Thank you so much!!!

1 Like

Calculation V2 is applied to all aircraft?.? It also applies a380?.Thanks!!