Crosswind Takeoff and Landing Question

Hello everyone! I was wondering if I have been performing crosswind takeoffs and landings correctly. For takeoff (let’s say there is a crosswind coming from the right) I turn the yoke to the right. Once I get up to takeoff speed, I apply rudder pressure to the left. Is this correct? It does the job but I just want to make sure that this is the professional way to do it. I don’t want to make a mistake when I am on the expert server so I have been practicing in solo mode. But what about landings? I am not exactly sure what I am supposed to do for these. If there was a crosswind coming from the right, would you do the same thing where you dip your right wing down (turn the yoke to the right) and also apply rudder pressure to the left. Or do you do something completely different? I would appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

You’re correct! But a minor thing: keep your ailerons in the wind and use the rudder to keep you on the centerline. The rudders purpose is to keep you on the centerline.

2 Likes

The same applies for landings. Put your ailerons into the wind and use whatever necessary on the rudder to keep you straight.

1 Like

You could alternatively use the “crab” technique - point the rudder into the wind and use a gentle opposite aileron to keep yourself from tipping over. If the wind is coming from the left, apply left rudder and come down sideways. Straighten out as you flare and/or reduce power to idle on your round-out. This is favoured while flying airliners especially.

2 Likes

Yeah. The method I’m describing has more to do with prop aircraft like the 172.

1 Like

Take a look at these tutorials by Tyler!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it!

So does what I said about takeoff apply to both GA and airliners? And is what I said about landing usually for GA and there is a different method for airliners called the crab method?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.