Crosswind take offs

Do you guys find crosswind take offs hard because sometimes I completely sway of the runway if I don’t get it right?

2 Likes

That used happen to me as well, but I watched this tutorial and after some practice my takeoffs are smooth now!

Here is the official tutorial by IF:

4 Likes

Let’s say you have the wind coming in from the right.

Put your aileron into the wind (aka, hold your yoke down towards the right, like a right bank) and keep it that way for takeoff.

On the climb out, as you straighten out the yoke, also apply right rudder to keep flying a straight ground track.

2 Likes

I improved mine by setting the null zone on my ailerons to zero…I realised that my inputs were actually too small to have an effect on takeoff.

And my tip is to use the wind arrow on the status bar …the plane will be rolled into the wind, so you have to use aileron away from the wind, so I look at the arrow and tilt the way the arrow is heading.

The higher angle on the arrow, the more tilt towards its direction.

On a crosswind takeoff, the plane is actually pushed along with the direction of the wind.

So you’d have to get your aileron into the direction of the wind - that is, roll/bank opposite to the direction of the arrow on takeoff.

For example, if the wind arrow on the status bar is pointing left as shown…

<——-

…you’d hold a right bank on takeoff because the wind is pushing you leftwards - so your climb-out will initially be slightly tilted/banked to the right.

2 Likes

I’m seeing it the other way around… The wind pushes on the tailplane, which has the effect of pivoting the plane around its axis. The impact is that the nose turns towards the wind.

So the counter action is to apply aileron away from the wind direction, which is the way that the arrow points. So my rule of thumb is to follow the arrow direction.

This seems very unlikely, but may be remotely possible due to outdated physics in the older models.

What you’re talking about seems like a ‘side-skip’ - which basically pushes the plane off the runway in the direction that the wind is blowing, if no (or improper) correction is applied.

I’ve attached a few images of proper crosswind correction to demonstrate what I’m talking about:

Source

As you can see, the aileron is into the wind - aka, the stick is held to the left in the picture above, right from the time you’re lined up on the runway and spooling up your engines for takeoff. Note what happens with no correction - you tumble along with the wind off the runway. This is what is probably happening in the case you’re describing - if you don’t apply the correction and start to tumble off the centerline with the wind, your nose too will ultimately end up pointing in the direction of (aka “with”) the wind.

Source

And in this second picture above, you have the ‘crab’ method of correction after the initial climb-out - you level your wings from that initial takeoff, and simultaneously apply rudder to point the nose into the wind, to keep your ground track constant and not drift off. The technical term associated with this is the ‘wind correction angle’ (WCA) - the angle between your ground track, and the direction in which your nose is pointed.

1 Like

Theres no physics issues here, this is the same in the real world.

Let’s be sure you’re talking about crosswind takeoffs, right?

I believe the things you’re showing apply to actual in air tracking in a crosswind.

Yup. Crosswind takeoffs. Check the sources linked.

I’m believe I’m correct about the behaviours of the aircraft, and the correction to take just before and during rotating.

It could be a possibility in the simulator with some of the older models and some light GA aircraft which tend to be a hair more twitchy/slippery than their real-world counterparts, especially in a very stiff or strong crosswind.

For the most part though, what I’ve just quoted/demonstrated is the standard method that’s taught in the real world (and in the official tutorials of the sim) for crosswind correction on takeoff.

I’d be happy to link you to a few videos or articles via PM that demonstrate the same, if you’d like :)

It’s OK, I can understand how it works… The tailplane gradually has more effect as the weight on the wheels reduces while airspeed increases.

Eventually the force of the wind on the tail pivots the plane nose into the wind… You must counter, in order to stay flying runway heading, by rolling away from the wind.

If you keep rolling into the wind you’ll just head wildly off the runway…

I will add that the effect is more extreme in stronger winds and in the planes I fly mostly, the C208 and Dash 8, as you said.

I realised, especially on the 757, crosswinds really affect the takeoff. It’s so sensitive to rudder and aileron inputs that it’s hard to takeoff normally.

They take practice to master but once you learn how to properly use your ailerons and rudder they become relatively easy.

However with aircraft like the 757, crosswind takeoffs become incredibly annoying. 2 days ago I tried doing a flight from KATL to KTPA in the delta 757 and there was a crosswind of 4 knots. As I was rotating, I applied very minimal rudder to combat the crosswind and I still swerved around like crazy. It feels like IF has overestimated the rudders power on some aircraft because aircraft like the 757 and TBM feel unflyable even in the slightest crosswind conditions no matter how much practice I do.

1 Like

The 757 has a very large rudder and tailplane, attached to a very light body. Also it’s got a LOT of power for its size. It’s pretty slippy in crosswinds. However, this is modelled after, and reflects the real-world physics of the aircraft.

Don’t worry - we’ve all had some difficulties when it comes to controlling the 757. It’s a slippery aircraft and does take quite a bit of practice! I’ve linked an excellent answer/topic below that explains some things about it:

2 Likes

This is exactly my problem 😂

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.