Crosswind Procedures

Hi everyone.

First topic so go lightly if it’s complete nonsense!

I was flying from Heathrow to Skiathos last night and coming across The Greek mainland I was hit by some nausea inducing crosswinds (100kt).

For the purposes of realism IRL how much of a crosswind is too much of a crosswind? From there what do you do? Divert in the direction of the wind until reasonably sensible to do so or persevere?

As long as it is a (relatively) smooth ride there’s no reason to worry, the autopilot will adapt the heading accordingly if you have the NAV mode enabled!

Crosswind Limitations come into effect upon landing and takeoff. There isnt much of a limitation when cruising.

Someone correct me if im wrong

4 Likes

I don’t ever remember diverting in real life over headwinds. I remember one time I was flying on an AA 737-800 between PHX-PDX. The pilot came on and said even though we’ve had an on-time departure the headwinds are so strong we’re going to be late landing in Portland.

@speedbird165… MaxSez: : One checks “Winds Aloft” during preflight route planning and avoids altitudes with anomalous wind factors. “Breeze” or “AvWx” from NWS are good sources. Encountering unplanned anomalous strong winds en-route one changes to a higher or lower altitudes looking for the sweet spot or just rides it out if heavy turbulence is not a factor.
MaxSends

1 Like

Crosswind limitations are only a thing on landing/takeoff since there may not be enough rudder surface area to control the yaw motion.

I think the best solution is to change the cruising altitude. Few weeks ago when I was flying on Wizz Air IRL, we had really strong crosswind so we descended from FL360 to FL340 and it got better.

Thanks all for your advice. Hope To see some of you at the infinite flight meet up at Heathrow in June!

1 Like

To assist with high altitude winds and planning, have a look at windy.com , the IF high altitude wx is taken from this site to best knowledge

However best planning is to use fpltoif.com for your flight planning as this will give you both a flight plan, but best altitude and speed as well the correct amount of fuel to take.

Happy landings!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.