Cross winds

Am I doing something wrong? During crosswind landings the aircraft seems to drift towards the direction of the source. Instead of giving it rudder to point the nose into the wind as expected. Landings become difficult. With a left crosswind it Should blow me to the right but the opposite happens. Please fill me in.

2 Likes

A crosswind will push the aircraft nose in the direction of the crosswind.

For example, a left crosswind will push on the tail of the aircraft, turning the aircraft nose to the left.

So for a left crosswind, you will need right rudder to counter act and left rudder to counteract a right crosswind.

Hope this answered your question!

2 Likes

And thats because its hitting this giant pink thing, also called a vertical stabilizer. 😀

yP7rR

2 Likes

There quite a few threads on crosswind landings already. Have a good search before you post.

Good info above.
On YouTube there’s a good crosswind landing tutorial. And here is another thread on crosswind landings with good info.

2 Likes

Try aileron upwind with opposite rudder. Works ok without crabbing.

1 Like

This is because the aircraft is still on the ground and only the nose is in the air. After the aircraft is fully airborne, the wind will take it wherever it wants to!

1 Like

On a heavy put your ‘seat’ on the upwind edge of the runway whilst you ‘crab’ into wind to keep your desired track. This will put your gear near the centre of the runway and allow for some downwind drift on flare.

At about 30-50 feet, gentle rudder to line up and apply a little into wind aileron to offset the drift. Fly the aircraft onto the runway and remember to keep flying it through the rollout.

The nose will always want to ‘weather cock’ into the wind due to the effect of the vertical stabaliser.

Good luck!

3 Likes

I apologise. I know better than to post before searching. The tutorial makes it look easy. Been practicing with very little success. Thanks for the picture, I was wondering what that was. 😮

I’m not a real life pilot, but I have a pretty good understanding of Aviation as well as crosswind landings. Much different trying to perform one though. Thank you for the replies. Much more practice needed.

I’d suggest gradually adjusting the winds in solo mode. First try it out with a 7 knt wind, then 10, etc. Don’t jump right into SFO right now and expect to master it :)

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip, have some time now and didn’t know what to do so will do some touch and goes on 10L or 10R in SFO on the Expert Server with the Atlas 744…

Do I have to use rudder after my plane is fully airborne to stay on track?

Once your plane has left the runway, the best practice is to slowly bring the rudder back to the neutral position (in the middle).

Once there you can select the ‘APPR/NAV’ button and select ‘NAV’. This will then follow your flight plan to your destination if you have created one.

1 Like

As Declan states above, use the rudder to maintain the runway heading during the take off roll. Once airborne allow the aircraft nose to drift slightly into wind, slowly release the rudder pressure and adjust the aircraft heading to maintain track. Be gentle with the rudder, the secondary effect of yaw is roll and booting the rudder around will affect the lateral stability as well and you can end up ‘pedalling’! :D

Remember that SIDS and STARs are based on track not heading so always allow for drift!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.