CRJ-200: Yay or Nay?

I’ve always wondered why so many people absolutely hate the CRJ-200. And it’s always JUST the CRJ-200. Not any other CRJ series (even though they’re all practically identical), not ERJ, EMB, etc. just specifically the CRJ-200.

I’ve flown in the CRJ-200 several times. And while it isn’t fancy, I never thought it was horrible. And it’s a regional jet. So what are so many people complaining about? It’s not supposed to be fancy. It’s an aircraft used primarily for commuting purposes.

What are your experiences on the CRJ-200? Why do you hate it so much? Or do you like it? Or are you indifferent? Let us know.

5 Likes

I’ve never been on one, but I’ve heard it’s very cramped and uncomfortable

4 Likes

But my point is that I never hear any complaints about any other CRJ family or ERJ. And ERJ’s are even more cramped.

I’m just trying to figure out the logic behind the hate behind ONE individual aircraft and not it’s similar counterparts.

1 Like

Yay. They’re underrated because they’re for low demand routes and you always pretty much get the plane to yourself. But if we’re saying full plane. Nay.

1 Like

Depends on the route cleveland to Miami right after the Covid mess was on an e145 then they changed it to a e175. Much better flight experience. Same with the air canada flight. Crj-900 is much better than the crj-200.

1 Like

Pretty sure my first commercial flight was on a CRJ-200 from SWF-PHL back in 2006. I also used to fuel them when SkyWest operated the -200 before COVID ruined everything. Definitely a loud APU on the ramp, fueling it kinda sucks at times. In “auto” mode the aircraft takes a very leisurely amount of time to correct any imbalances, so we used to fuel it manually which brought another set of experiences. I’ll never forget opening the refueling panel only to be greeted with a smiley face saying the single-point fueling was inoperative…I’ve had to “over-wing” fuel the CRJ-200 on a few occasions haha. The -700 and -900 however always worked beautifully.

3 Likes

What is the difference between the -200, -700 and -900 though? Now, granted I’ve only flown in the -200, but they all look and seem the same to me.

2 Likes

“crappy regional jet” - Swiss001

6 Likes

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192715

1 Like

The lengths are different- different number of passengers. The crj-700 and crj-900 have slightly better amenities. They also have different engines.

To me, the hate for the CRJ-200 is like social media. People only hate it because someone said it was horrible because maybe he or she had a bad experience on one. And because of that everyone hates it and already has a pre-determined opinion of the aircraft when they fly in it. And even if the flight didn’t suck, they still say it sucked just to “fit in”.

2 Likes

If that were true, everyone would hate the 737 Max. People Express their experiences with others, telling them there are better options out there than the CRJ200. If the CRJ200 was a perfect regional, they wouldn’t have made the 700, 900, and 1000. Clearly people don’t like it because of what they experienced on it. When you have enough of those kind of people, the jet gets labeled as something to avoid so other people don’t have to fly it themselves and have a bad time. You also have to remember what country we’re talking about here too. Americans are large people

1 Like

I hate all CRJs. ERJs are great because you can get the single seat in economy.

1 Like

What? With who?

1 Like

Not on the E175

2 Likes

With…like everyone? They’re 1-2 in economy by default

1 Like

Oh I consider ERJ to be 135/140/145, but I like E175s too they’re not as cramped as CRJs.

1 Like

Oh I didn’t realize that

Thought you were talking about the E170/175

Firstly, its limited passenger capacity is often highlighted as a drawback. With a typical seating arrangement of around 50 passengers, the CRJ-200 is considered small compared to other regional jets. This can result in higher operating costs per seat mile, making it less economically efficient for airlines in terms of revenue generation.

Another issue often raised is the cramped cabin space. Passengers may find the interior of the CRJ-200 to be less comfortable compared to larger aircraft, with narrow aisles and smaller seats contributing to a less enjoyable flying experience. The limited overhead bin space also poses challenges for carry-on luggage, further impacting passenger comfort.

The CRJ-200 has been criticized for its older technology and avionics systems. As aviation technology advances, newer aircraft models often come equipped with more efficient and sophisticated systems. The CRJ-200’s reliance on older technology may result in higher maintenance costs and a potential impact on overall reliability.

Fuel efficiency is a crucial factor in aviation, and the CRJ-200 has been noted for its relatively higher fuel consumption per seat mile compared to more modern regional jet models. In an era where sustainability and environmental considerations are increasingly important, the aircraft’s fuel inefficiency may be viewed as a significant disadvantage.

Operational limitations also play a role in the criticism of the CRJ-200. Its shorter range compared to other regional jets can restrict airlines in terms of route planning, potentially limiting their ability to serve longer routes efficiently. This limitation could affect the aircraft’s suitability for certain markets and operational strategies.

Additionally, the CRJ-200 has been associated with maintenance challenges. Aging aircraft tend to require more frequent maintenance, which can lead to increased downtime and operational disruptions for airlines. This can result in higher costs and reduced overall reliability for the operators.

Despite these criticisms, it’s essential to note that the CRJ-200 has served a purpose in regional aviation, connecting smaller airports and providing essential links in air transportation networks. While it may have drawbacks, its performance in specific regional markets and operational niches cannot be entirely discounted.

In conclusion, the CRJ-200 has faced criticism for its limited passenger capacity, cramped cabin space, older technology, fuel inefficiency, operational limitations, and maintenance challenges. However, it’s crucial to consider the context of regional aviation and the specific needs of airlines when evaluating the overall suitability of the CRJ-200 in the aviation industry.

4 Likes