Creazy weather at EHAM (schiphol)

Ferry bad wether at EHAM in the Amsterdam region.

Max windspeed: 32kts

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Yes i did but the wint had turned while i took of

What can tail wind do ?

1 Like

I live in the netherlands and there is much wind here

Taking off with headwind generates enough lift sooner than taking off with tailwind. The ground speed at rotating is lower when taking off into the wind, therefore takeoff distance is shorter.

Tailwind takeoffs is not very practical. You need more runway to counter the tailwind, resulting in higher ground speed. Let’s say Vr 140kts with tailwind 30kts. So you need a ground speed of 170kts until you have actually obtained headwind for lift. Same conditions when taking off with headwind, only 110kts ground speed --> shorter takeoff distance.

Same rules apply for landing concerning the needed runway length. When landing with tailwind, stalling the aircraft becomes and issue. Your GS might be extremely high but your TAS is at the edge of a stall. GS is the least important air speed indication as I know (not that it actually is uselss), but maybe @Aernout can go more into detail or explain this better.

2 Likes

Tailwind increases your GS, headwind will decrease your GS. As lift is generated by Airspeed and not by GS you will need to reach a certain airspeed to get airborne. At sealevel with 0 wind the IAS & GS are the same.

So the problem starts with a tailwind as you need a specific IAS to get airborne but because you are on the “ground” and the runway has a limited distance your groundspeed will need to be higher to get airborne hence you will run out of runway quicker. Same works with headwind but the opposite, you will use less runway to reach the same IAS…

Just let me know if this is understandable ;)

4 Likes

Yea its hear ferry stormy to
And i live close to EHAM

1 Like

Airspeed versus Groundspeed …

When I was a kid growing up in Florida USA, there was a hurricane approaching and I rode with my Grandfather out to a local airport … There I saw a Cessna flying backwards!! There was so much headwind that after v1 the contrast between the two, airspeed, groundspeed was so great as to create a visual illusion 😎

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

Tomorrow I’ll come to EHAM to take a A320 Vueling plane to Barcelona and then back to EHAM, maybe turbulence tomorrow!

Thank you @LSZH34 and @Aernout :)

4 Likes